Funny novel suggestions

<p>After one too many heavy, depressing novels, and one horrifying memoir I need suggestions for some light and laugh out loud funny. Any ideas?</p>

<p>Good Omens</p>

<p>Well, they're not novels, but I dare anyone to read one of David Sedaris's books without laughing out loud.</p>

<p>Also Dave Barry.</p>

<p>Good Omens was my first thought, as well.
Two other possibilities are:
The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul (Douglas Adams)
and
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (Christopher Moore)</p>

<p>Anything by Lewis Grizzard.</p>

<p>I like most of Bill Bryson's books.</p>

<p>I read this book years and years ago and still remember laughing out loud: Handling Sin by Michael Malone.</p>

<p>Bossypants by Tina Fey.
The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer (cleverly written memoir--one of our book club's favorites that year.
David Sedaris books</p>

<p>My D says the Chelsea Handler books are a hoot but I haven't yet read them.</p>

<p>Agree that Bill Bryson's books are fun...he has many different topics and I would research which you might enjoy..ie A Walk in The Woods (about hiking the Appalachian
Trail) A Sunburned Country (about Australia), Notes from a Small Island (about the UK),
The Thunderbolt Kid (about growing up in the midwest), etc.</p>

<p>If you're a dog person and the only one left on earth who hasn't read it, pick up Marley & Me by John Grogan. Both H and I laughed out loud (alot) and it was WAY better than the sappy movie.</p>

<p>This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper - but be aware - lots of s*x and language but I thought it was very funny. About a dysfunctional family.</p>

<p>Jonathan</a> Tropper, bestselling author of This Is Where I Leave You</p>

<p>Love Bill Bryson's books also.</p>

<p>Anything by P.G. Wodehouse
The Hot Rock by Donald Westlake</p>

<p>Thank you all! And I was trying to remember the name of a hilarious book the setting of which was the patriarch's funeral and it was This Is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Thanks for reminding me. Anyone else in the mood for a laugh and a cry go for that one.</p>

<p>i second the Tropper "This is Where I Leave You" recommendation. raunchy, yes, but i found myself in the pool yesterday--by myself--and i was laughing out loud.....the lifeguards had to be a little nervous...</p>

<p>Was laughing out loud with Bossypants but one of the funniest books of all time is Confederacy of Dunces. Great book by John Kennedy Toole. Great story on how the book got published. It was written in the late '60's. The author committed suicide and then his mother tried to get it published. Finally got published in 1980 and won the Pulitzer for fiction in 1981.</p>

<p>I just read This is Where I Leave You and was gonna recommend it when I opened this thread but see that others already have. I thought the writing was witty and it was an enjoyable book.</p>

<p>Changing Places: A Tale of Two Campuses, by David Lodge. An academic novel classic.
also
Straight Man, by Richard Russo. Ditto.</p>

<p>DS and I laughed hysterically all the way through Carl Hiassen's Skinny Dip.</p>

<p>Bossypants by Tina Fey hands down. laugh out loud hilarious.</p>

<p>I strongly second Katliamom's suggestions.....The Lodge Book is actually part of a hilarious academic trilogy - Changing Places, Small World, and Nice Work. I work on a college campus and those three, along with Russo's Straight Man, are frequently referenced as all too true in their depiction of campus life.</p>

<p>The Bear Went Over the Mountain . William Kotzwinkle
Rosie is My Relative. Gerald Durrell
The mysteries featuring Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich</p>

<p>I've read several of Carl Hiassen's books (including Skinny Dip) and they were all laugh out loud funny.</p>