FYI: Apple starts back-to-school pricing 5/25/2010

<p>You get an 8gig iPod Touch - $199 price - free with purchase. You also of course get a printer, really $100 rebate on any printer but there's no reason to spend more than that.</p>

<p>Runs 5/25 through 9/7/2010.</p>

<p>Here's the link:
Apple</a> Education Store - Find Your School and Shop - Apple Store (U.S.)</p>

<p>Why spend 1300 or 1500 on a MacBook when you could get a better PC laptop, nicer printer, AND iTouch for less than the price of a MacBook. Or, in the case of an iMac, you could get a PC laptop AND a PC desktop AND a PC netbook and still have some left over for an iPod... Lol.</p>

<p>So the low end MBP costs 1099 with the education discount.
LESS 200 for the ipod touch LESS 100 for the cost of printer.
Find me a pc for 799 that has:
2.4GHz Processor
250 GB HD
4Gb Memory
Built in camera
1 year warranty
10 hours of battery life.</p>

<p>Listen, we all know that you can buy a comparable Windows-based PC for less money. Some people consider the extra money for a Mac to be money well-spent, and others don't. Could we just please leave it at that? The purpose of this thread was to simply inform folks who intend to buy a Mac that Apple's 'Back to School' offer is now available.</p>

<p>Actually, there are plenty of PCs with those specs for less than $799. Sure, they won't have 10 hours of battery life, but that's just one sacrifice.</p>

<p>Many PC's don't have the thin 1 inch form form factor, full performance, and long battery lives. And they don't come preloaded with trial software which slows that brand new computer down. That's where the premium price of a mac comes in.</p>

<p>But that's a great deal. -$200 plus a free ipod touch.</p>

<p>But the PCs come with something Macs don't ... viruses ;)</p>

<p>for macs that's a pretty good deal. A mac compared to a pc will always be overpriced.</p>

<p>depends on how you define overpriced. with a free ipod, unibody aluminum, an awesome OS, reliability, great service, and relatively fewer virus problems, i would consider it a great deal even without the ipod. but thats just me :D</p>

<p>Yeah, I agree it's a good deal. But I just have to say that anyone who's getting viruses on their PC clearly doesn't know what they're doing.</p>

<p>How come I'm not seeing anythig about a printer on their website?</p>

<p>If you select a computer for purchase and then start going down the list of options, you will eventually come to printers. The details are in the 'More Info' section of the printers option.</p>

<p>
[QUOTE]

So the low end MBP costs 1099 with the education discount.
LESS 200 for the ipod touch LESS 100 for the cost of printer.
Find me a pc for 799 that has:
2.4GHz Processor
250 GB HD
4Gb Memory
Built in camera
1 year warranty
10 hours of battery life.

[/QUOTE]
</p>

<p>First, the battery doesn't last 10 hours; that's just the advertised time. It's closer to 7 hours and 30 minutes:</p>

<p>Apple</a> MacBook Pro (13-Inch, 2010 Version) Review - ComputerShopper.com</p>

<p>And closer to 5 hours if you're using the i7 version:</p>

<p>MacBook</a> Pro Core i7 review -- Engadget
Terry</a> White Reviews the NEW MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 | MacNews</p>

<p>Finally, as for a PC laptop with similar specs:
The HP dm4 series has similar specs to the i7 MBP with a battery life of 5 hours, just like the MBP, using the standard 6-cell battery for $729. The 9-cell battery lasts for 8 hours, and still costs only $759, still under budget. And this is without a "back to school" sale, mind you.</p>

<p>HP</a> Pavilion dm4 Review - A Review of the HP Pavilion dm4</p>

<p>As for the Core 2 Duo MacBooks, a laptop that has similar specs for cheaper is the Asus U81a:
Asus</a> - Laptop with Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor - Black - U81A-RX05</p>

<p>I used this laptop myself personally before selling it for the UL30a, so I know what it's capable of. It has a 7 hour battery life just like the Core 2 Duo MBs, yet is available for $589.99, much less than the MBs.</p>

<p>I win.</p>

<p>Finally, you don't compare GHz. It's just wrong. I can show you many Pentium 4s that have clock speeds close to 4.0 GHz, but they do not compare to a 2.5 GHz i7. Don't fall for the MHz myth. You compare using benchmarks, especially when comparing two different architectures.</p>

<p>Oh well, I tried.</p>

<p>Sorry, nothing personal against you, ALF, I just wanted to respond to that one post with skewed facts :)</p>

<p>I call them "les bozos." Defined as PC fanboys who somehow are threatened in their manhood by the existence of Macs and who therefore must interject at every opportunity their pricing game / spec game to prove that their choice is bigger. It's the classic male thing in which meaningless arguments MUST BE WON because manhood is at stake.</p>

<p>r31ncarnat3d. grow up.</p>

<p>Just wanting to let everyone know that Apple has surpassed the value of Microsoft. If you follow the tech world I'm sure you knew this. Apple is now the 2nd largest company in the WORLD! Right behind Exxon Mobile. This information just proves that Apple is a highly successful company and must be doing something right with its products. Macs are more expensive, but they are better computers. Reincarnated, before you brag about your PCs specs, try using a mac. The best part of the Mac really is the operating system. I would try to describe its elegance to you, but you really can't understand until you try one. Personally, I don't mind spending more money on a top notch laptop because it is an item that I use EVERYDAY. In the end, my high end laptop will help me be more productive. Productivity = Money don't forget.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I call them "les bozos." Defined as PC fanboys who somehow are threatened in their manhood by the existence of Macs and who therefore must interject at every opportunity their pricing game / spec game to prove that their choice is bigger. It's the classic male thing in which meaningless arguments MUST BE WON because manhood is at stake.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I call them sanctimonious , hypocritical pricks. Defined as people that in the midst of an argument pick out a single person that they disagree with and chide them whilst specifically ignoring all the people doing exactly the same thing on their own side. </p>

<p>
[quote]
Just wanting to let everyone know that Apple has surpassed the value of Microsoft. If you follow the tech world I'm sure you knew this. Apple is now the 2nd largest company in the WORLD! Right behind Exxon Mobile. This information just proves that Apple is a highly successful company and must be doing something right with its products. Macs are more expensive, but they are better computers. Reincarnated, before you brag about your PCs specs, try using a mac. The best part of the Mac really is the operating system. I would try to describe its elegance to you, but you really can't understand until you try one. Personally, I don't mind spending more money on a top notch laptop because it is an item that I use EVERYDAY. In the end, my high end laptop will help me be more productive. Productivity = Money don't forget.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>:0 Such unadulterated ********...</p>

<p>Apple is the 253rd biggest company in the world.</p>