Getting into UIUC engineering program

<p>Hi I was just wondering if I would have what it takes to get into the engineering program. I graduated HS in 2005 and am currently going to a local community college (CLC) in Illinois. I am really interested in getting into the CEE program with a concentration in Environmental Engineering and Science. I didn't have a bad GPA in HS but it wasn't great, and I got a composite score on my ACT of 23. I plan to transfer from CLC with a year of credits under my belt. So far I have taken, an Intro to speech class, a creative writing 2 class, a survival in the out of doors class, and a Biology class. I didn't do much in HS extra curricular activities wise but, this coming semester at CLC I plan on joining the environmental club. I also have been volunteering for about a year at a local forest preserve (every other Saturday) helping them clear out invasive plant species off trail.</p>

<p>I don't know if that is enough info to judge me on but if it is what would you say my chances are of getting into this program?</p>

<p>Also what could I do to increase my chances of getting in if they are not good now? (retake my ACT, take certain classes, etc.?</p>

<p>HS GPA (on a 5 point scale): 2.979
ACT:
Eng: 21
Math: 20
Reading: 24
Sci. Rea.: 25
Comp: 23</p>

<p>Well, this post seems pretty trollish to me. I am not sure if this is a serious post or not, but I guess I will answer it as if it is.</p>

<p>The chances of getting in, as it stands now, are slim to none. UIUC will look at high school stats until you have taken 60 (I think; drusba?) credit hours. The average ACT for the engineering school is around 32 if I remember correctly, and the average GPA is darned near 4.0 (or 5.0 on your scale). You would need a better ACT score (significantly) and you would need to take something like calculus, physics, etc at CLC and get A's on them to help make up for that low HS GPA.</p>

<p>You can attempt to transfer after one year or two years. If after one year (into sophomore year), they will take into consideration your high school record and test score and if they believe it is likely you would not have been admitted as a freshman that will be a significant factor considered against you. Your high school GPA and test score are very low for admission to UIUC engineering if you had applied as a freshman (its typical middle 50% range is top 8% to top 2% class rank and 30 to 33 ACT). </p>

<p>If you apply to transfer into junior year, they do not consider high school record and test score and go by college grades. Essays are important.</p>

<p>You should go to UIUC's site and search for information on transfer requirements into engineering. Some things you will learn: </p>

<p>You will need a high college GPA (minimum of 3.0 to 3.2 GPA depending on engineering program and minimum can change from year to year and having minimum does not guarantee admission; it justs gets you considered).</p>

<p>You must have college credits that actually transfer to UIUC for credit (30 by end of first year if transfering then and 60 by end of second year if transfering then). You can find course conversions for community college courses to UIUC on-line. Looking at what you have, I have serious doubts that the survival in the outdoors class will transfer for credit.</p>

<p>Next, you will need to meet certain minimum course requirements. They include, for transfers into sophomore year, two calculus courses, for civil engineering (which includes environmental) two chemistry courses plus labs, the first calculus based physics course, a writing course (yours may or may not qualify). If after second year, you can add some more including another physics course and another calculus course (check requirements on-line). Moreover, they have a preference for those who have completed UIUC's language requirement -- for engineering you must complete the third semester college level of a single foreign language but that requirement is waived if you had three years of the same language in high school.</p>

<p>Ok thank you for replying. And no I'm not a troll. High school was rough for me (for a number of reasons) but am more mature and ready to dedicate myself now. I plan on retaking the ACT and will hopefully do better on it and have looked on the College of Engineering transfer requirements page so I know what I will need to take. So far I have gotten basically perfect grades at CLC so I am hoping that they will look at my college grades much more than my HS grades. I guess my next real question should be, is it really 2 years of college to transfer in order for them to over look the HS grades? I have not been able to find where they state something like that. Its not on this page as far as I can tell Transfer</a> Students | Engineering at Illinois I will continue searching but anyone who knows where it is directly would you mind providing me a link?</p>

<p>Thanks for the info drusba. I see I have some work to do, which I was expecting. As for the survival in the outdoors class, I doubt that will do anything also. The survival class, writing class, and biology class, where all part of a hands on two week "field trip" to Virginia so it was a requirement to take all 3 classes.</p>

<p>Go here: U</a> of I Admissions: Sophomore Transfer Information</p>

<p>Are you permitted to retake the ACT once you're out of HS? I didn't think so. Once you have 60 hours at a CC the ACT won't matter anyway, if I understand transfers correctly.</p>

<p>Where are you in your math sequence - what is your highest class?</p>

<p>To be brutally honest, based on rejections I've seen, you would have zero chance at UIC as well as UIUC. You could shoot for SIUC as a more realistic aspiration and get your 60 hours and AS degree done. Good luck!</p>