Getting tarnish off a fine silver chain?

<p>D's beautiful heart necklace has become very, very tarnished. We were able to remove the heart and polish it nicely with some silver cleaner, but the chain it was on has fine links, and I don't think it would take vigorous rubbing. I'm also afraid that some of the goop might get stuck in the links. There seem to be a lot of different suggestions out on the net ..."Do use Tarnx" "Whatever you do, don't use Tarnx" "use toothpaste" (though I can't see that it would behave much better than silver polish paste in terms of getting stuck.) "Use baking soda and aluminum foil with boiling water" "Don't let your sterling silver get near aluminum."</p>

<p>Any suggestions?</p>

<p>(The chain is .925 sterling.)</p>

<p>I use Goddinger's Silver dip, probably the same or similar to Tarn X. I just give it a quick dip then wash well in warm water and dish soap with an old tooth brush, dry with a soft cloth. If I were to use silver polish I would use with a soft tooth brush, then clean up the same as above. There is a trick with aluminum and baking soda, but I have never found it to work well.</p>

<p>Try a jeweler's cloth that you can get from a high end jeweler. I've also used toothpaste. Little Jewel.</p>

<p>I don't normally pitch products...but do you know anyone who sells Silpada Jewelry? They sell a terrific silver polishing cloth for all of $6. I got one for DD for her Christmas stocking a couple of years ago (and one for myself too). You just wipe the chain with the cloth and it sparkles. Well worth the cost. Personally, I would NOT soak a chain, or use silver dip...but that is a personal preference based on the ease of use of the polishing cloth.</p>

<p>Get a silver polishing cloth (dry) made by Haggerty or Goddard. Bed and Bath sells them, under $10. I bought one and cut it up into 3 parts, one each for my Ds and me. I use it for all of my silver jewelry. I find that the wet polish gets into grooves and never really comes out entirely. This product works beautifully, no muss or fuss. And the easier it is, the more you will do it.</p>

<p>I have a metal plate thing that removes tarnish from silver. You put it in the bottom of a receptacle, and add washing soda and very hot water to dissolve. Then dump the silver in. The tarnish is attracted to the plate and the silver is clean without any rubbing. It works well as long as the tarnish has not evolved into those black patches that have to be rubbed off.</p>

<p>I use a little toothpaste between my fingertips to polish silver. It rinses right off and it smells good, and it's handy, and it works.</p>

<p>I also like the cloths, I have regular ones and some with jewelers rouge embedded in the cloth.</p>

<p>I find it works well for light tarnish, but heavier tarnish may need a bit more work. I also find the ultrasonic jewelry cleaners can work well on tarnish</p>

<p>
[quote]
I have a metal plate thing that removes tarnish from silver. You put it in the bottom of a receptacle, and add washing soda and very hot water to dissolve.

[/quote]
. You can simulate the metal plate thing by putting tin foil in a pyrex pan and then dissolving the washing soda (borax). Works like magic.</p>

<p>I use the Haggerty products. For groves in my silver or my jewelry I use a soft toothbrush and I don't scrub...toothpaste works also, but if you are concerned about the grit then I wouldn't. I actually make sure the drain is down on the sink and after I've gotten the silver polish on I run it under warm water and then dry, dry, dry. I've never had a problem with the silver polish "sticking" in small areas.</p>

<p>Forget about rubbing the silver, with various gooks or cloths. If it's a light layer, there's a much easier way that several posters have already described:</p>

<p>Take warm water (it doesn't have to be boiling or hotter than you can stand) and mix in some washing soda (sodium carbonate)</p>

<p>Note it is washing soda, and not baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) a related but different household chemical. Confusingly Arm & Hammer sells both in the same yellowish box, but you want the washing soda.</p>

<p>Dip the silver into washing soda water along with plenty of aluminum foil. They sell aluminum pans and such for this purpose but plenty of regular old aluminum foil will do. Make sure the aluminum touches the silver.</p>

<p>What happens is an electrolytic reaction where the solid aluminum foil reacts with silver sulfide (the tarnish) to make aluminum hydroxide and solid silver. </p>

<p>The sulfur is released into the air and if there's enough tarnish, you can smell it (get some ventilation going). You can also tell it's working because the aluminum foil will start dissolving.</p>

<p>Ideally, this will take much of the tarnish off without struggling with rubbing, gook, or cloths. If it is very tarnished or an expensive piece, it may be worth a professional jeweler removing the tarnish.</p>