Getting UC financial aid with non-contributing parents

<p>Is there any way to get financial aid from the UC system if your family is fairly well-off (yearly income of $100,000+) but your parents will not contribute toward your college tuition? The UC finance guide (that comes with the ELC packet) says middle to upper class families are expected to contribute, and I’m sort of stuck in this situation.</p>

<p>You won't be able to get any need-based aid at a UC without completing a FAFSA that includes your parent's income and assets. With income in the 100K+ range, it's likely that your EFC will be close to (or exceed) the approx $21K cost of attendance at the UC's. </p>

<p>You can contact the financial aid officers at a particular UC. They have some latitude to exercise 'professional judgement'.</p>

<p>the short answer is no. Just bcos your parents don't want to pay, why should the other taxpayers of the state pickup your tuition? [I'm sure every parent would opt out of paying if the UCs picked up tuition for thier kids.]</p>

<p>Oh. I'm having these problems because my parents are foreign diplomats for a country (Myanmar) that the U.S. has economic sanctions against. And because they work for the military government, it's impossible for them to wire money here. Would this be a special situation, or do I have to find an alternate route to get the money here?</p>

<p>sorry, I know nothing about finaid for international students. Suggest you e-mail a couple of UC campuses and see what their response is....good luck.</p>

<p>Keep in mind that very few colleges are need blind to international students. This means that your ability to pay will be a factor in admissions. In addition you will have to show that you have what ever funds you need for your education, available to pay for your education. They way you describe your situation, your parents will have to find a way to make the funds available this may mean setting up an account at another foreign bank. </p>

<p>Since you are probably not the first student from your country with a desire to attend or who has attended college in the U.S., I would advise speaking with your parents who can possilby speak with other parents who have gone through the process of sending their kids to college in the U.S. to find out how this happens.</p>