Gettysburg College vs St. Mary's College of Maryland

<p>It comes down to that at St. Mary’s I think I would feel the most comfortable, but at Gettysburg I would have the most opportunity and the most room to grow. I like the campus and the people at St. Mary’s better and I feel like I might fit in better there, but I love the methods of involvement available at Gettysburg, I love the accommodations, I love the variety. </p>

<p>I don’t know which is more important. I am very worried about the Greek life at Gettysburg, and it really is very off putting, since I simply will not be partying. When I visited, there were kids partying on the lawn of their (slightly off campus) frat house at 1:30 in the afternoon. I know I don’t have to get involved with it, but that being the mindset is worrisome to me. On the other hand, I am worried that in terms of extra curricular type activities, there is more at Gettysburg than at St. Mary’s. It would be bigger and better at Gettysburg. I am just worried I would “fit in” more at St. Mary’s.</p>

<p>No help? Nothing?</p>

<p>would it be possible for you to do an overnight visit at Gettysburg? I think drinking will be present on both campuses, but there will be alternatives at both as well.</p>

<p>I understand some of your concerns - my daughter is looking at both, and after visiting G’burg, I understand how different it is.
But the good news is that you have 2 very good schools to choose from. Do you know what you want to study?</p>

<p>No time for an overnight… going on a huge school trip, and this was my last free weekend before May 1st. I am going to study psychology or english, most likely. </p>

<p>I also do realize that drinking will be present at both – a student an acquaintance of mine did an overnight with at St. Mary’s kept emphasizing the fact that it was a “big campus with a lot of woods…”</p>

<p>I think I want to lean towards St. Mary’s because it feels like it is more in my comfort zone, but Gettysburg is the victor in terms of my extracurriculars (music and theatre, specifically) and in terms of location.</p>

<p>What thoughts does your daughter have on the schools?</p>

<p>She hasnt seen st mary’s yet, but she likes that it is outdoorsy and has sailing. She didnt love Gburg, but we had a terrible tour and it was a quiet day at school, so that contributed. Financially, st mary’s is appealling, but my daughter likes the study abroad and health sciences at Gburg.</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using CC</p>

<p>I assume that both schools have admitted student fb pages… check those out and post some questions there. I bet that if you call the admissions office they could put you in touch with a current student totalk with.</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using CC</p>

<p>I am partial to St. Mary’s.</p>

<p>Both schools have solid academics and a student body that cares about academics.</p>

<p>You can’t go wrong at either school.</p>

<p>Two friends of the family have sons at Gettysburg. One started Arabic as a freshman and now is fluent and has spent one academic year in Cairo. The other one is a theater major who has had amazing support at Gburg and has made significant inroads as an actor. Both students love that school.</p>

<p>I had a really, really lovely tour guide at Gettysburg, and a less lovely one at St. Mary’s (senior and freshman guides, respectively) </p>

<p>I’m also in the Nitze program at St. Mary’s which even further makes it hard to say no. But I really think I would benefit more from the student groups at Gettysburg, and the fact that it is less in the middle of nowhere.</p>

<p>Is there a cost difference? Are you instate for St. Mary’s?</p>