Girl Barred From Attending Prom Solo--Without a Male Date

<p>They should let anybody without a date attend–boy or girl. They don’t have to change the rule for her. They should change the rule for everyone because it’s an absolutely stupid rule.</p>

<p>Ahhh, memories of prom angst. Both sons get dumped the week before prom. A lot of that seems to occur around here, and yes, we are in a locale where prom is a very big deal. D is a freshman and hopefully I am in a blissful non-prom state for 2 more years.</p>

<p>We are in a midwestern, rural, conservative, small school, and our only prom rule is students from another school must be pre-registered and no dates over 21 are allowed.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Terrible! Here in Texas, the girls wait until the Monday after prom to dump the guy.</p>

<p>I’m kind of serious. I think we have a lot of moms who make their kids do the “right” thing. There are boys who have asked a girl to prom 6 months in advance, and even if they broke up several months prior, they all know that the date must be kept. Again, I think it’s the moms who are the enforcers.</p>

<p>The other thing about the “you have to have a date” rule is that prom is expensive. I think we all know kids who didn’t even consider prom because of the expense. A girl could actually have a penniless boyfriend and not want to ask another guy to prom, but want to go herself.</p>

<p>Sheer stupidity–I suppose they feel a girl isn’t worthy unless she has a teenage boy by her side. For crying out loud–this is 2012.</p>

<p>That statement isn’t very deep thinking. A boy couldn’t go alone either. </p>

<p>That said, I see no problem with kids going alone, in groups, or in any combo or whatever. My kids’ Catholic high doesn’t care how kids show up…as long as they’re not intoxicated or the girls don’t have too much cleavage hanging out (oh my…just realized, the school in question is in the NE, while my kids’ school was in the south! how can that be???).</p>

<p>Arabrab…we’ve had enough anti-Catholic threads allowed, the 100 year comment is not fair. Besides, this isn’t a “church rule”…it’s some administrator’s rule.</p>

<p>Have the kids use “escort services”. That’ll teach them. Some of these rules and schools, sheesh.</p>

<p>Hunt,
Why would it create a lot of problems to let anyone go without a date?</p>

<p>The problems I mean are that if the prom is imminent, they’ve already planned for a certain number of kids, restaurant and limo reservations have been made, etc. Logistical problems. These will make the school resist changing anything.</p>

<p>It will be interesting to see what effect going to the media will have in this case.</p>

<p>We could let the archdiocese know how we feel…</p>

<p><a href="mailto:webmaster@adphila.org">webmaster@adphila.org</a></p>

<p>I just sent my opinion.</p>

<p>One would think that the Archdiocese wouldn’t want to maximise the number of pairs of dressed-up, horny, often drunk teenagers spending the night grinding against one another. </p>

<p>Does the Archdiocese also require that all students attend a party at the house of someone whose parents are out of town, and that all students engage in horribly awkward and unpleasant sex for the first time that night?</p>

<p>mom2collegekids: My earlier post was a gut reaction. I agree with you. See my later post (#21). Anyone who buys a ticket should be allowed to go—boy or girl, single or with a date. I wonder if anyone in the district has previously tried to challenge this policy during other years.</p>

<p>Back when I went to a Catholic Girls School we COULDN"T bring a male to prom. Just us girls – but by the time I was there we could wear colored dresses. My older sister’s class all had to wear white dresses.</p>

<p>IBfootballer, Right on!</p>

<p>Wondering if this might be a recent rule…“All attendees must have a date of the opposite gender.” kind of thing. Keep those LGBT kids off the dance floor …</p>

<p>My kids’ school had groups attend without dates. Back in the Devonian Era when I was in high school, nobody went without a date. DH and I had started dating by his prom, soon after he had been dumped by the girl he had asked months before. She still wanted to go, and all the patents made sure he did the right thing and went with her. I like to tease him about it but it was the right thing to do.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Why?</p>

<p>Nobody here is even encourage to get a date. They give same sex groups 1/2 price discounts to go to the prom. Everyone goes in a group. My daughters group had five couples and three stags, who they are all friends with.</p>

<p>Sheesh. Unbelievable that a student could be left out of an activity partially paid for by her tuition. :rolleyes:</p>

<p>My son goes to a catholic high school. Plenty of kids go as a group to prom, without a date. Its a fun dance / event and part of winding up their high school years. Why make it high pressure or exclusionary? The policy of this school seems mean spirited.</p>

<p>It seems the older we get the worse the worse the world gets. It’s like we rewind ourself in time, and never move foward. It’s 2012</p>

<p>My twin daughters also go to a catholic high school and just had prom last weekend. One daughter had a date but her sister did not. I’m glad our school encourages all junior and seniors to go with or without a date. They all go as a big group anyway whether they have dates or not. I would hate for someone to miss prom simply because they didn’t have a date.</p>

<p>D went to a Catholic school. She went to every homecoming and both junior & senior proms dateless. All but the senior prom was with a group of her good girl friends, and senior prom was a big group of kids - some with dates and some without. It was normal for them. Freshman year, she went to homecoming at the local public school with a group of kids - some with dates, some without - and that was fine, too.</p>

<p>Personally, I think it is terrific. I did not go to any homecomings or to prom … no date for any. I did go out to a very nice dinner with a group of friends on prom night. When S was not looking forward to prom … he was pretty much ready to be past high school at that point … I told him that I had not gone, and I did not feel that I missed out, nor did I regret not going. My H said the same. S breathed a sigh of relief and decided not to go. </p>

<p>I think way too much emphasis is put on prom. Let kids go dateless if they want … tell them it’s okay to spend a modest amount of money rather than a small fortune … don’t make it seem like it’s a necessary rite of passage … keep it all in perspective.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>That’s what I was thinking especially after the Constance McMillen case made national headlines.</p>

<p>Like another poster suggested, my first thought was to use an escort service and be very very vocal about it. lol This seems ridiculous. Then again it can affect the seating arrangement and symmetry on the dance floor.</p>