Girl Now Has Prom Date

<p>Apparently--most likely, some kind of deal has been struck to end the bad publicity:</p>

<p>Pennsylvania</a> girl to attend Catholic school's prom after first being told she couldn't go solo | Fox News</p>

<p>No deal—she has a date so now they’ll let her attend. I don’t care how much I wanted to go to the prom. If I were her, I’d tell them to stick my ticket up their you know what and I’d find something else to do that night.</p>

<p>It’s a band-aid at best. Don’t see why they can’t allow men and women to go stag as my HS classmates and I did at our senior prom nearly 20 years ago.</p>

<p>I chaperoned our school’s prom the other day. We have no rules like this one, and the great thing was that almost every single kid came, even the shy ones and the ones that sort of stick to themselves. They all came in groups together and had the best time. I just don’t understand how anyone could think this kind of rule makes any sense. It seems that forcing kids to come with a date (and I assume it is a date of the opposite sex that is required-- sheesh…) forces them to become who some of them are not yet ready to be. Blah blah blah. I guess that’s why I don’t work in such a place and why I would never send a child of mine to such a place. Sorry if I’m being closed minded. This is just making me angry…</p>

<p>Since she’s not talking to the press anymore, my bet is that this happened: although it was technically too late for her to get another date, they let her get one and and go to the prom if she’d stop making waves. If that’s the case, I can’t blame her, because the whole point is that she wanted to go to the prom, not necessarily that she wanted to go alone–she initially had a date, after all.</p>

<p>I’m glad she found someone, but what a crappy memory to have. </p>

<p>I still think the guy who backed out better have had a darn good reason to do it or he’s just scum. You don’t back out a week before prom unless something MAJOR happens. It’s just not right.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Agree with you, Franglish. There are a number of people who never would have had a chance to go to Prom if they had to have a date.</p>

<p>This diocese has a much bigger problem.
[Landmark</a> church sex abuse case ends testimony - CBS News](<a href=“http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57422539/landmark-church-sex-abuse-case-ends-testimony/]Landmark”>http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57422539/landmark-church-sex-abuse-case-ends-testimony/)</p>

<p>She should have posted the story on Facebook and gotten someone Justin Bieber-y to take her. I hear that’s the thing to do these days.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Good for her! I hope she has a blast.</p>

<p>Toledo! :eek: we already got in trouble for that this week. </p>

<p>Franglish, I agree. I love that every kid goes to prom, now. At the local high school, literally everyone went this year. They get busses, too, and nobody’s allowed to get a limo so that everyone goes the same way, too, and dinner is served there. I like it that way, personally.</p>

<p>These kids have been doing it this way since bar and bat mitzvahs. No reason to get all wierd about it, now. </p>

<p>I’m glad it turned out this way.</p>

<p>I think the whole prom concept is morphing along with our take on women, young women, the role of women, and the prospects for women. My DD went in a group. No one seemed seriously involved. Everyone – boys and girls – seemed happy. And everyone came home intact. Probably the best time, though, was had at the parents’ parallel prom party. Shhh. . . .</p>

<p>D2’s prom is going to be a family affair. We are allowed to purchase up to 12 tickets per family. It’s a black tie affair (long gowns). There will be a post prom party at the same location for the graudates. My parents and D2/boyfriend are flying down for the event. D2 was going to go back for her old school’s prom, but it was too close to her IB exams.</p>