Going abroad the fall after transferring to Cal or UCLA?

Hi all! I am a potential intercampus transfer (UCSB–> either Cal or UCLA) who has already made plans through UCEAP to study abroad for a year beginning this fall (in case I don’t transfer, but I am thinking I may want to go anyways if I do transfer). I know that both Cal and UCLA have a requirement that transfers must complete at least one term in academic residency at their campus before going abroad, and I was thinking that maybe I could fulfill this by completing the summer term before going abroad–anyone have any knowledge or experience with this sort of situation? Any advice is appreciated!