Going Back

<p>My name is John and I have just been accepted into Rocky Mountain College, a small school in Billings, Montana. I have not been in a classroom in a long time. I am only 19 however; I left high school in order to become a personal trainer. I took the GED test and went on my way. However through my fitness obsessions I became very interested in science and decided I wanted a degree. I now have a schedule and it has me down for biology I and chemistry I. My question is, are these the beginner courses that incoming freshmen and untraditional students can hang in with? I thought that maybe they were the foundation courses that people take and learn the overall idea of each field. Someone has told me that this isn’t the case and a massive understanding of each is needed for these courses no matter what the student type or course. Is this the case? I know it will always be different depending on many variables but I do not want to get in over my head.</p>

<p>Thank you!</p>

<p>No, a <em>massive</em> amount of information isn't needed for either...</p>

<p>How long were you in highschool?</p>

<p>How far did you progress in math/science (what courses)?</p>

<p>I won't know the definite answer, but answering these questions will give me (and others) a better understanding of your situation.</p>

<p>you might want to check with your college as to what kind of classes these are as well - are they science classes everyone is required to take in order to graduate? (in that case, fairly easy) or will they be dominated by pre-med types? Although you're a Science major so you should be able to handle some basic intro courses. Did you study Biology and Chem in high school, and if so, did you do well? Also, what major are you considering? Something related to Health sciences?</p>

<p>Well here is where the laughter will start; I listed myself as a biology student. Through my obsession with health and fitness I grew into nutrition and how digestion works. Not why foods do what they do but HOW certain foods do what they do. The school does not offer anything in nutrition. I was in high school until about the first monnnth of junior year. By this point I was only there physically, I would leave and go straight to the gym, as I was before school started every morning. I took a both courses in high school, however I have no idea how I did because I knew what I wanted to do and I was just waiting until I was eighteen. I turned in some of my work and papers I had published on nutrition and the Alimentary Canal into RMC and I got a scholarship. I’m not acting like I’m anything special but for a drop out to get ANYTHING that must show SOME promise. Honestly I am not against having to back track and learn a little more than everyone else, it’s my own fault. I do not want to be floating in the water though.</p>

<p>"I turned in some of my work and papers I had published on nutrition and the Alimentary Canal into RMC and I got a scholarship."</p>

<p>Don't be modest, that is definitely something to be proud of!</p>

<p>Honestly, I can't answer your initial question with an acceptable amount of confidence (I'm not even in college yet), but if I were to guess, I would think (with a willingness to do a little extra) that you would be fine :)</p>

<p>Well I knew I wanted to be in the fitness world, and personal training was fun. However there is no money in it unless you’re the man on TV selling the equipment, or the company putting it together. So I figured get a degree in some type of science, look into other possibilities. I’m glad I got this together at 19 as oppose to 30 when things would have gotten back from debt and what not. I also have to compete with a graduate student brother at UD. So I have to do something not to be shadowed so much.</p>

<p>Well, Good Luck :)</p>

<p>I think you are making a wise choice!</p>

<p>2:16 am? Time for me to get some sleep...</p>

<p>I think you'll do fine, you realize you're gonna have to play catch-up and maybe work a bit harder, but you'll probably do well. Even if your college doesn't have a nutrition major you can study bio and take plenty of nutrition electives. </p>

<p>But don't worry too much about being behind. In HS i didn't take AP Bio/Chem, I did poorly in regular Chem cause I didn't try hard, but I'm still acing my pre-med requirements because I'm motivated now. Sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and are motivated. Good luck in college :)</p>

<p>Word of advice - don't procrastine in Bio/Chem classes! It's 2am and I'm doing some extra cramming for a Chem Final later today...whoops :o should probably go to bed.</p>