Going through CR with a dictionary?

<p>I find that going through the CR sections of the SAT with a dictionary at hand drastically increases my score, as opposed to NOT using one. Would you consider this a good method of study?</p>

<p>bump10char</p>

<p>I think it's a good way to study, but you shouldn't use it or rely on it too much. Wean yourself off the dictionary as quickly as possible.</p>

<p>I guess you could do this, but it's not like you will have to a dictionary to use on the actual SAT.</p>

<p>The word "audacious" was unknown to me until a few weeks ago and now I know it by heart. I think that the dictionary is good to use if I cannot narrow down any words on the sentence completions whatsoever.</p>

<p>Just look up words that you don't know after you take the CR part, so you can get better at guessing meaning.</p>

<p>I think this is a fantastic idea. You notice pretty quickly that SAT is in love with the same words that they tend to use over and over again on the CR section.</p>

<p>This is a a terrible idea if you are suggesting using it during the actual testing.</p>

<p>jefgreen said it was for practice in the original post.</p>

<p>no, he didn't</p>

<p>
[quote]
I find that going through the CR sections of the SAT with a dictionary at hand drastically increases my score, as opposed to NOT using one. Would you consider this a good method of study?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>If you are taking a practice exam, you should not have a dictionary on hand.</p>

<p>Rather, you should write down the words you do not know after completing the exam, acquaint yourself with their definitions, and then re-read the CR passages with the knowledge of those definitions that you may better place them into context.</p>

<p>it's better than not using a dictionary and not bothering to check the definition of the words you don't know.</p>

<p>
[quote]
it's better than not using a dictionary and not bothering to check the definition of the words you don't know.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>True, but checking the definition should be done after completing the CR section. Otherwise, it's not a very accurate assessment of OP's proficiency in the CR section.</p>

<p>I'm going through the practice test WITH a dictionary. I'll try going through a different one without and then checking myself afterward.</p>

<p>Well, of course using a dictionary would increase your score; you're not going to get any sentence completions wrong. I honestly believe that it is a terrible idea to go through the test with a dictionary, because you're giving yourself a huge boost in your CR score that you don't deserve. </p>

<p>You need to check the definitions of the words AFTER you finish taking the test. Perhaps make flash cards of the words you really don't know, because the exam does test certain words pretty frequently. It would be wise to invest time to learn SAT word lists, especially the Direct Hits Vol. 1 & 2.</p>

<p>I actually have the 2010 editions of DH Volumes 1 & 2, but have yet to look at them. Are they really that helpful? Side note: I only recently purchased direct hits.</p>

<p>Many users on this forum have found them to be very helpful, myself included. It doesn't take very long to get through the books; make sure you memorize each word that you don't know. Feel free to skip over the words you are certain you already know, there will probably be quite a few of them. After you've exhausted DH, find other vocab lists, such as Word Smart's Hit list and other lists with frequently-tested SAT words.</p>

<p>I will have to definitely disagree with the dictionary method. Personally, because dictionary definitions are pretty worded at an advanced level. Sometimes I have to look up a word in the definition..... :P I=Dunce</p>