After searching around, I received information that the golden rule for extracurriculars is one academic, one personal, and one that helps out the community.
Despite this, I have heard these extracurriculars are not necessarily quantifiable so they do not add too much weight to your application.
I would be grateful if I could hear people’s opinions about how each type of extracurricular (the ones listed above) will impact our application in what way?
Thank you all once again!
There is no extracurricular formula that works for every single case.
A state flagship school may admit strictly by test scores and grades and not look at your EC’s at all unless you apply to the honors program.
Different private schools have different missions - some will want academic EC’s that show you will complete their required senior thesis, some value creating future leaders and like to see entrepreneurialism. I don’t like the way sports are over-valued in college admissions (probably because no one in my family is particularly athletic), but it’s a reality. Admissions officers and coaches are looking to fill their teams every year. Other schools are looking to fill their orchestras.
The general advice is to be active and be yourself. If “yourself” means lots of robotics, engineering schools will love that on your resume. If “yourself” means Model UN, there’s a somewhat different set of equally awesome schools that will like that.
Be active, find stuff you like, and come senior year apply to schools that value what you have done.
Okay thank you very much.