Good Schools for Muah!

<p>Hello everyone! I'm new to College Confidential, so I'd just like to introduce myself. I live in California and I'm currently a junior in one of the top private schools in the nation. Here are my stats.</p>

<p>SAT I: 1580
SAT II: 780/800/770
GPA: 4.67

<p>ECs: Concertmistress of two youth symphonies, Varsity cheer (captain), Varsity basketball (captain), Varsity softball (co-captain), featured in the prestigious "Who's Who in American High School Students," recipient of Principal's Award for Best Math Student, Best Science Student and Best English Student, recipient of school's AllStar Athlete award, AIME qualifier, editor of my school newspaper, editor of my school yearbook, ASB Class President (3 years), tutor (voted "top tutor" by peers).</p>

<p>I am also president of the following clubs at my school: Amnesty International, Speech and Debate (Recipient of the prestigious Lincoln Award), Young Republicans and Helping Hands. I also volunteer at the soup kitchen, library and hospital. </p>

<p>I'm currently looking into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, Dartmouth, Brown, Penn, and my safety, Cornell. What do y'all think? Thanks in advance!!!</p>

<p>
[quote]
featured in the prestigious "Who's Who in American High School Students

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not to burst your bubble, but "Who's Who" is not prestigious- it's just a rip-off.</p>

<p>By the way, you sound a little conceited and unimaginative by (a) thinking that Cornell is your safety, and by (b) applying to only the Ivies. You are what some would call a "prestige-whore." Maybe you should actually research what colleges you like instead of just applying to all of the Ivies for obvious reputation-based reasons.</p>

<p>Well, what do you want to major in? What are your interests? Did you know that Columbia has a core and that Brown is its almost complete opposite?</p>

<p>Find out what characteristics of a school you want and then make a new list.</p>

<p>Oh, and happy birthday.</p>

<p>Why are you attacking me, Calidan? And for your information, Who's Who <em>IS</em> highly prestigious. My friend who was accepted to Princeton was NOT invited to be featured in it, nor was my friend who is currently attending Yale. The only other person from my school who was EVER featured in Who's Who now attends Harvard University. Please, make sure you know what you're talking about before trying to attack me. </p>

<p>BTW... You sound bitter and jealous because you probably can't get into an Ivy League school and will probably attend a STATE school. What are you stats? Care to share??</p>

<p>Who's Who is NOT prestigious. :o</p>

<p>State schools aren't terrible by the way.</p>

<p>
[quote]
BTW... You sound bitter and jealous because you probably can't get into an Ivy League school and will probably attend a STATE school. What are you stats? Care to share??

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Actually, I recently got into Georgetown. Not an Ivy League per se, but a wonderful school nonetheless. I have not heard from any Ivies yet since I applied RD, madame presumptuous. However, I'm sure I won't be too distraught if I don't get into any. Unlike you, my life does not revolve around getting into an Ivy. And you just sound ignorant talking about state schools in a derogatory manner- ever heard of Berkeley? UCLA? Virginia? Arguably better than many private schools, thank you very much. There is NOTHING wrong with attending a state school.</p>

<p>And no, I do not wish to share my stats. You seem just a little too eager to measure yourself up against others- that's not too healthy.</p>

<p>Calidan, you cannot even spell "private" correctly. Provate? You are the ignorant one. If you think Georgetown is a "wonderful" school, then sure, you may -believe- that state schools such as Berkeley and UCLA are good as well; they are, however, all ranked much lower than even Cornell.</p>

<p>Oh touche'. I saw that typo and fixed it- and how shallow of you to focus on a simple slip of the hand as a judge of intelligence.</p>

<p>And I can't believe that you would even infer that Georgetown, UCLA, and Berkeley are not all wonderful schools. That is downright arrogant and misinformed. Anyone would be lucky to attend any university, especially any Top 25 university.</p>

<p>I agree with Calidan. Remember that the name of a school is just that--the name of the school. While I too really love a few of the Ivies it is because of their individual qualities, not just their prestige. I don't mean to sound preachy, but you need to realize that there are numerous private and public colleges that attract students of equal or greater quality than some of the Ivies. Being snobby or defensive really proves nothing. Best of luck to you in your college search.</p>

<p>HILWCH- Don't worry so much about rankings. They don't mean much.</p>

<p>Many companies recruit EXCLUSIVELY from the Ivy League. Whether this is fair or not is not up to me to decide. However, I do know FOR A FACT that graduating from an Ivy League school AUTOMATICALLY puts you milleniums ahead of those graduating from schools such as Georgetown or UCLA. A friend of mine recently graduated from Rice University and remains UNEMPLOYED to this day. Companies do NOT want to touch her because, quite frankly, she does not possess a valuable degree! Another friend, however, is currently a junior at Darmouth and already has several job offers! This is a VERY CLEAR illustration on how an Ivy League education is second to none and opens up many, many doors.</p>

<p>A polling of two friends does not constitute a "FACT." No company recruits exclusively from the Ivy League. This is my belief, but I am willing to consider your assertion if you provide actual national evidence. However, I doubt that you will be able to provide such evidence.</p>

<p>Some one needs to collect all of your posts and make a little booklet titled " The Stupidest Intelligent Person of College Confidential"</p>

<p>That has to be one of the most erroneous posts I have ever read.</p>

<p>Do you know that more Georgetown students went to top Law schools than Harvard, Princeton, or Yale last year? So no, graduating from an Ivy League does not put you millennia (note that this is the correct plural form of millennium) ahead of those graduating from other schools.</p>

<p>And by the way, I find it hard to believe that having a Rice degree would make someone a pariah in the professional world.</p>

<p>Airforce1, again, what is your problem? Do you come onto College Confidential looking to pick fights? Or are you just jealous because you don't have the "stats" it takes to make the Ivy League cut. Either way, why don't you just bugger off??</p>

<p>Not everything is about your precious "stats" or about posessing the ability to get into an Ivy League school.</p>

<p>Life is not about stats. And before you accuse me of not having any, think of how many times you have done that to people tonight and how effective it has been.</p>

<p>Oh, and Calidan...
1) What do you define as "top law school"? If you say UMich or UC Berkeley (as we've clearly seen how fond you are of STATE schools...) then, sure... whatever.
2) No one I know from Rice has recieved a prestigious job offer or acceptance into a prestigious graduate program. I'm sorry, schools like that just simply do not provide the opportunities an Ivy League education does.</p>

<p>:) </p>

<p>Maybe those folks at Rice were too similar to you.</p>

<p>Oh, and hOtIvYlEaGuEwAnNaBecHiCk (by the way, have I told you much I like your username?)...</p>

<p>1)I define a top law school as Yale, Georgetown, Harvard, Michigan, Chicago and the like. The ones that are universally recognized as the top.
2)How many people do you know who have graduated from Rice? Because I'm not sure it's fair to generalize all the alumni from a school.</p>

<p>And along the lines of what you've been saying, would MIT not provide the same opportunities as an Ivy would? Would you say that having an engineering degree from Penn would be more valuable than having one from MIT or CalTech? I think not.</p>