Grade and criticize my essay?

<p>My first SAT essay.</p>

<p>Prompt: Does being overly comfortable limit progress?</p>

<p>Ask any champion - whether he be an athlete, an academic or a simply a competitor in general - if staying in one's comfort zone facilitates rewarding progress and he will tell you absolutely not. By staying in a comfort zone one limits their ability to push themselves past their boundaries. Thus, one also limits their vision in seeing what they are truly capable of. In short, comfort zones are for those who are comfortable with losing.</p>

<p>Michael Phelps, the greatest olympian of all time, doesn't believe in comfort zones either. In fact, in order to avoid complacency he never puts together long term training schedules. He does this because he doesn't believe he will know what his body will feel like in a week, or in a month, or even in a year. Training schedules, he says create boundaries and limits - boundaries and limits that, as a world record holder, he is constantly trying to break. A regimented schedule would be less difficult to follow then his current strategy (to swim as hard as he possibly can every day he steps in the pool) but the comfort zone it would create would also hamper his ability to think - or train - outside of the box.</p>

<p>In the same way, in the early 1940's, when the entire rest of the world was at war, it would have been easy for the United States to stay in their "comfort zone" half across the globe. However, by deciding to go to war - and risk millions of American lives - the US played an integral part in saving the world from Hitler and the Nazis. Comfort zones are easy, but often times one must choose between what is easy and what is right. Comfort can blind us from what is right, making hindrance in progress a foregone conclusion.</p>

<p>While being comfortable feels good "in the moment," that is the opposite of what progress is. Progress is having the vision to know what will be good for you in 6 months, or 10 years. Comfort zones create complacency, and complacency is the bane of progress.</p>

<p>Especially if you think it's in the 6, 7, 8 range, please explain why.</p>

<p>8
You do not develop on your second example.
If you are going to use athletes as an example at least try to get three examples total. CB graders don't take that as a good example. ( I used an athlete, historic, and personal example on march 2010 SAT and i used a lot of high level vocab words but got a 10)</p>

<p>Does using 'high level vocab' actually help?</p>

<p>Yeah it really does. As long as you use the words properly and don't flower up your essay.</p>

<p>wait what? i thought it only went up to a 6?</p>

<p>it's 2 grades of 6, so the total is out of 12.</p>