Grade Drop (URGENT)

<p>I just received a letter from Columbia stating that my grades on my final transcript does not reflect the grades that admitted me into Columbia. I know this is really bad, but I was wondering if it is enough to have my acceptance rescinded?</p>

<p>Can you explain how much you dropped?</p>

<p>It's pretty bad when the university mails you just to tell you that...</p>

<p>65 multi calc</p>

<p>80 econ</p>

<p>85 in some law class</p>

<p>^ ouch. What were they before?</p>

<p>Anyway, I would send a letter explaining any circumstances. If you really were just lazy, then nothing much would help ..</p>

<p>I didnt have econ before but I had the same teacher for an Ap class and I received a 90
for the law class I had a 90 before and for math I had a 75 before</p>

<p>Unless they said you were rescinded I'd take it as their version of an Asian parent scolding. Just call the office and figure it out.</p>

<p>um, it probably means you'll enter with probation, which isn't a good way to start college. in general so long as you do well your first and second semesters, they will pull you off probation.</p>

<p>if your grades are truly bad they reserve the right to rescind your admission, but they tend not to be that mean. i mean the fact of the matter starting off on probation means that if you do poorly at first they might ask you consider taking a leave of absence. so just don't screw around when you get to columbia.</p>

<p>It's probably a good idea to send them a letter explaining the grades, especially the barely passing grade in multi-variable calculus. They're definitely unlikely to rescind your admission this late in the game, but it's definitely something you should address.</p>

<p>will the academic probation show up on my transcript?</p>

<p>don't know, have never seen someone's transcript who was on probation, my guess is not.</p>

<p>Does anyone know how to check that their transcript was received?</p>

<p>
[quote]
don't know, have never seen someone's transcript who was on probation, my guess is not.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I know a friend who was on probation, and it's not noted on the transcript. Though, whether he was on probation is the least of his worries given the poor grades.</p>

<p>
[quote]
um, it probably means you'll enter with probation,

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Is there any basis for this statement?</p>

<p>
[quote]
I just received a letter from Columbia stating that my grades on my final transcript does not reflect the grades that admitted me into Columbia. I know this is really bad, but I was wondering if it is enough to have my acceptance rescinded?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Does the letter state what to do, or any consequences? If it doesn't say to call anyone, just ignore it and hope it goes away. No point in raising matters that don't need to be raised.</p>

<p>Don't worry about it. My friend received an e-mail from admissions during the summer saying that his grades were sub-par and that he needed to reply letting them know the circumstances surrounding his grades. They also gave some lecture/stats about how senior year is a determinant of success in freshman year....blah blah blah.</p>

<p>My friend ignored it, i.e. was not using that e-mail account so didn't know until NSOP week. I don't think anything happens and I highly doubt that they'll put you on probation to start off freshman year, at least nothing that's permanent. I doubt the admissions office is in contact with the registrar or anyone who actually cares what the admissions office says. Relax. </p>

<p>Take it easy. I'm sure you had more fun doing other stuff and just make up some bull excuse to admissions about how you were doing life learning. And if you're feeling brave, just ignore it.</p>

<p>well beard - they are in contact with student advising, and like most things that are officially written it probably is added to your personal file so that your advisor knows what is up, and what to expect. (lovely fact, that file of notes is wiped clean after you graduate.) and yeah that may lead (i will pull back a bit from what i said) to probation or some possible further action. and how do i know this - well beyond the fact that i was close with my FYSAAC advisor, i knew quite a few kids who were pulled in for conversations the first month of school to talk about the fact they hadn't been doing their work. some of them got warnings, some were officially put on probation (which from experience usually is a year), and some of those students didn't end up finishing columbia.</p>

<p>and having now seen a few students go from top notch kid who was admitted to columbia, to burn out after a few weeks of partying the first weeks of school and having to be put on leave, i guess the thing is perhaps on the one hand to Relax and not freak out about having his admissions rescinded, but also a bit of a slap in the face to the OP - what the hell have you been doing? i mean i slacked off senior year, but i didn't end up at near failing grades. </p>

<p>in the end college is a lot harder than high school not because the courseload may be bigger, but you will be entirely self-directed and it will require a lot of discipline on your part. so i think the lesson learned isn't ignore what the admission folks say, but that you should be prepared for the first few weeks of school - unfettered freedom is the greatest antagonist to academic success.</p>

<p>Yep. Totally agree with admissionsgeek. In college, success is determined by your time management and will. No one is going to baby you through courses and sit with you. If you don't learn the material, you will do quite poorly.</p>

<p>That said, my senior year and freshman year involved heavy amount of alcohol and other illicit use of substances. I didn't care about high school at all and ended up attending only half of my school days. I definitely feel the need to relax and I think that getting it out or your system during the last days of high schools is much better than working hard and feeling burned out during freshman year.</p>

<p>Also, I don't think college is harder than high school, especially freshman year. If you have what it takes to get in (especially if you don't get any special treatment during admission, i.e. URM, legacy, etc.), then freshman year should be quite manageable compared to the workload in junior year of HS. </p>

<p>I guess just keep an eye on long-term goals and make the short-term sacrifices to accomplish what you need. Physics I and II were useless classes, but I did well because I knew that GPA was important.</p>