GRE Question

<p>There are pretty complicated mathematics questions on the GRE. How does this work for a English, Philosophy, or other humanities major? No mathematics courses are required for these types of majors so how are these students, looking to pursue graduate school, going to score well on the GRE?</p>

<p>Honestly, it all boils down to high school algebra, geometry, and some trig. The only big difference is that calculator is not allowed, which tends to put people at unease about doing the SAT type of problems without using it.</p>

<p>For humanities, the verbal score is more important. An adcom might give a cursory glance at the math but won't penalize the applicant too much. For social sciences, it may depend on the program.</p>

<p>The math is actually quite simple, and that is what makes it difficult. You've seen it all when you were taking math classes in High School.</p>

<p>But even so, it'll be difficult for an English major or another major that doesn't require university-level math to remember what they learned 4-8 years ago in high school math.</p>

<p>You studied logic, didn't you? </p>

<p>Your pool of competitors suffer from the same constraints you do; therefore, there is no bias against humanities students.</p>

<p>An issue would only arise if, say, a mathematics PhD were applying for a humanities PhD program and mathematics GRE scores were weighted highly for some absurd reason.</p>

<p>The mathematics section of the GRE is designed to test logic and not mathematical aptitude; otherwise, one would see differential equations, multivariate calculus, transforms, and numerical analysis methods on the test. The basic math required is assumed to be present in every potential PhD student's toolset and the problems are designed to elicit a measure of logic and problem-solving abilities.</p>

<p>If you view it as a major impediment, I advise you to purchase a GRE study guide and to practice the mathematics portions until you have them mastered. </p>

<p>Your complaint of bias has no merit on mathematical grounds.</p>

<p>math/science majors are not usually doing this level of math anymore either, the higher math is completely different, so they will need the same review of high school math that you will need. As for the 'how does this work?' part of your question, you will have to look at each school and each department to see if they have cut off rates. Even if they do, it's always best to try to do better.</p>

<p>I'm a math/econ major applying for econ grad school. Personally, I think the hardest part of the math is the risk of misreading a question. Most of the questions boil down to simple facts that any decent review book would go over; reading them correctly is key (i.e. don't misread increase for decrease or bisect for trisect-this has happened to me on practice questions!).</p>

<p>There is no such thing as a hard math question on the GRE.</p>

<p>after further research, it turns out the original poster is a high school student. Take his or her concerns regarding graduate school with a grain of salt.</p>

<p>I did absolutely zero review for the GRE quantitative and did perfectly fine on it. Use Powerprep, see if you're doing really badly on it, then identify the problems and learn them. The math is the same level as the SAT -- the verbal is what really makes it different than SAT (I studied a book of 800 vocab words for the GRE -- and there were still words I have never seen in my life on the exam!).</p>