Halp! A question about getting classes at ucla and ucb

<p>I was wondering about how hard it would be get science classes at ucla and berkeley if you are a non science major. I am interested in majoring in something like poli sci or sociology and taking the pre dental science classes on the side for dental school. It seems like it would be harder to get the classes i need at ucla, because of the larger student body. Also, does your major really matter, would it be bad to major in something easy like afro-american studies at ucla and get a high gpa for law or dental school? sorry for asking alot of questions lol</p>

<p>I'm bumpin this brahs... how bad does it look if I tell people I'm an afro american studies major</p>

<p>Truthfully African American studies yaaaaa</p>

<p>you will need a year of general chemistry, a year of biology, a year of organic chemistry, and a year of physics - all with associated labs. Calculus is recommended by some schools, but most do not require it.</p>

<p>You normally don't take any of those classes. </p>

<p>You don't also take any of the critical thinking or quantitive classes you need for law school or the ones they look for that is. </p>

<p>Also checked all the science classes for ucla and ya you have no chance at getting a intro bio/chem/ochem/physic class without having priority</p>

<p>i know african american studies sounds kinda bad, but dont people say stuff like your major doesnt matter for law or dental school? i figure it might be a major that lets me get a high gpa for grad school and gives me some flexibility in picking classes. ur thoughts guys?</p>

<p>First, African American Studies doesn't "sound bad" at all, the major exists because plenty of people are honestly interested in it and want to make it their work for four years. There is absolutely nothing lesser about that major than any other; if it's somebody's calling then it's great for them.</p>

<p>Second, I think that the admissions people at law and dental school aren't stupid. </p>

<p>If you're obviously extremely interested in your major and have the experiences (read: extra-curricular activities) to demonstrate that your interest extends beyond the classroom and your GPA, then they can see that and will appreciate it.</p>

<p>However if you study such a specialized major as African American Studies and your interest ends where the classroom does, then I would imagine that the admissions boards who pour through tens of thousands of college applicants will see through you very quickly. Furthermore, I doubt they'll take your attempt to game the system very kindly.</p>

<p>Study something that you enjoy, or if what you think you'll enjoy is being a doctor or lawyer then study whatever will best prepare you for those careers.</p>