Hamilton vs. Bates vs. Richmond

<p>I have been looking at the 3 schools and i want some insight. I want to major in Physics/Computer Science. Which school is the strongest in those disciplines? The people, campus, food, gym,professors are important to me also. Considering all this which school would win out in your opinion?</p>

<p>I'm am not quite sure about your major but in general heres my opinion.</p>

<p>Hamilton is a probably the most prestigious school out of the three, but I do believe they focus heavily on English and writing. It is a very small school with a nice campus but its in the middle of nowhere. The kids tend to lean to the left politcally, even though some of the kids might have that NE prep school conservative culture. </p>

<p>Bates is also a very good school, slightly behind hamilton in the rankings. Although bates is located right out lewiston maine, don't think you and your friends are traveling into lewiston for a night out. It is a very industrial city that has many dangerous sections. However, the campus itself is very pretty. Bates has a very good mix of students, with one type not being prevailent.</p>

<p>Richmond is probably the lowest ranked school on that list, but still quite good nonetheless. It has one of the nicest campus's in the world and the virginia weather is great. The kids that go to richmond are usually very wealthy and the school has a bit of that southern old money feel to it (though not as much as lets say W&L) but the kids are known to be very welcoming and friendly.</p>

<p>I would research the rankings/faculity/noted alumni in your area of study but i would probably say hamilton or bates is going to be the best.. Make sure to visit them as well b/c richmond and hamilton are two pretty different schools. </p>

<p>Hope this helped</p>

<p>Hamilton and Bates have the stronger historical reps and are better known to applicants and academics, particularly in the northeast, but the University of Richmond has become, over the last two decades, an incredibly good and attractive college. </p>

<p>Part of U Richmond’s improvement is attributable to some major financial gifts that have been wisely spent in building up a terrific faculty and some excellent new facilities (eg, Gottwald Science Center). Here is how the three colleges compare in endowment monies:</p>

<p>Total Assets, Rank Nationally, Assets Per Capita, College</p>

<p>$1.66 bn, 44th, $579,279 U Richmond</p>

<p>$702 mm, 103rd, $385,321 Hamilton</p>

<p>$276 mm, 213th, $158,003 Bates</p>

<p>This money advantage should not be underestimated and bodes well for U Richmond as it seeks higher and higher levels of national recognition.</p>

<p>All three have beautiful campuses, but there are significant weather and rural/small city/big city differences. Students preferring the outdoor winter life (snowboarding, etc) and medium-sized cities would be far better advised to stay away from U Richmond. Of the three, U Richmond has the broadest exposure to the four seasons and springtime in Richmond (right now!) is pretty special. Also, perhaps unknown to some is that U Richmond is a Division I athletic participant with a 10,000-seat basketball arena on campus. </p>

<p>All three are great places for students and there really isn’t a bad choice for the individual student, but if you have not seen U Richmond in a decade or more, then I urge you to take a look. This is a college on the rise…and in a major way.</p>

<p>Deis1015: I resent statements such as the one you just made about Lewiston: "Bates is also a very good school, slightly behind hamilton in the rankings. Although bates is located right out lewiston maine, don't think you and your friends are traveling into lewiston for a night out. It is a very industrial city that has many dangerous sections. However, the campus itself is very pretty. Bates has a very good mix of students, with one type not being prevalent." What do you know about Lewiston? I live there and I can tell you that it is probably a whole lot safer than almost any other American city. I feel significantly safer in Lewiston than I do in any other city of the same size that I have visited in the U.S. That said, there is some relative poverty in the city. Parallels between poverty and danger indicate elitism that I think is very unbecoming of supposedly well-rounded students and prospective students at the top colleges in this country.</p>

<p>In terms of prestige, I do not advise anyone to solely look to the U.S. News rankings for an indication of prestige. Despite its lower ranking, it is my experience that Bates is thought of as academically more rigorous than Hamilton, especially in the northeast.</p>

<p>Lastly, to answer the original poster's question of where to go. I cannot give you any specific advice. However, I can tell you that while Bates has a great physics department, it lacks any offerings in computer science. The campus, housing, professors and the food are all great though.</p>

<p>I think Hamilton and Bates are consistently are fair bit above Richmond. Between Hamilton and Bates, I think it has much more to do with fit. USNWR differences, which except at a large discrepancy isn't that meaningful anyway, is never more than a few spots between these two. However, Bates is considered to have a more crunchy, granola reputation than most NE schools, while Hamilton has more prep school grads majoring in humanities; so it really depends what environment you find more appealing or how overblown these stereotypes really are.</p>