Hard ACT Questions!

<p>Hey, </p>

<p>Can anyone help me with these difficult English questions from the June 2008 of the ACT?</p>

<p>In his own time, he gained fame as a social critic who used his cowboy persona (as a means) to reach audiences with his shrewd, commonsense remarks on politics and everyday life. </p>

<ol>
<li> Which of the following alternatives to the underlined portion would not be acceptable?
A) in order
B) so that
C) so as
D) Delete underlined portion
I narrowed down to B and C but I can’t decide between these two. Help! </li>
</ol>

<p>She (considers herself to be) a devoted wife and a doting mother and grandmother. </p>

<ol>
<li> Which of the following alternatives to the underlined portion would not be acceptable?
F) believes that she is
G) thinks of herself as
H) considers herself
J) thinks herself being
I narrowed down to F and J but I can’t decide between these two. Help! </li>
</ol>

<p>Instead, loyalties lie with dedicated, hardworking athletes—team players whom, of course, play to win. In that sense the certainly (fits the mold of) the typical football fan. </p>

<ol>
<li> Which of the following alternatives to the underlined portion would be least
acceptable?
A) Finds the places for
B) Exhibits the characteristics of
C) Fits the stereotypes of
D) Follows the pattern of </li>
</ol>

<p>Lunar (rainbows, or “moonbows,”) are little known and, in that way, are like some other aspects of the natural world. </p>

<ol>
<li>
F) NO CHANGE
G) rainbows, or “moonbows”
H) rainbows or “moonbows,”
J) rainbows or, “moonbows”</li>
</ol>

<p>Service opportunities range (between) home repair and meal preparation to ride sharing and reading aloud </p>

<ol>
<li>
A) No Change
B) among
C) from
D) across
Why isn’t between right here. Isn’t is used to compare two things: repair and meal preparation?</li>
</ol>

<p>I'll take a crack at this:</p>

<p>B
J
A
G (but needs the comma after "moonbows" to remain)
C (Between is assuming only two choices....from and to is the link among multiple choices......)</p>

<p>all just guesses....curious how many I got right (since I'm a parent and have never looked at ACT ever)</p>

<p>These are the answers I got:</p>

<p>B
J
A
F
C</p>

<p>^^you are right, the parenthesis in q 48 confused me.......for some reason I thought the parenthesis were actually written on the test.....lol</p>