HarMIT vs Oxbridge

<p>Which would you rather attend, HarMIT (Harvard and MIT were combined, which would no doubt top any and all rankings of quality of research and reputation) or Oxbridge (Oxford and Cambridge combined)?</p>

<p>I would throw in Stanvard (Harvard + Stanford).</p>

<p>No combination of universities can beat Harvard+MIT</p>

<p>^ agreed. But IMO with time Stanford will be the functional equivalent of Harvard+MIT (it has to beef up its professional programs to be on par with Harvard's, e.g. public health. Excepting these, it may already be there).</p>

<p>I'd go for Oxbridge for undergrad and HarMIT for postgrad. In that way, I get the best of both worlds. ;)</p>

<p>

Humanities need to be beefed up as well. The basic programs are decent (though religion and especially art history could use work), but it falls flat beyond that. Stanford has no world-renowned programs in Celtic Studies, Altaic Studies, Assyriology, etc. like Harvard does. Of course, the museums at Harvard (art, anthro, natural history) clean nearly everyone's clocks due to its wealth and hefty head start.</p>

<p>Not really trying to bash Stanford here...it definitely has more breadth and depth than all except Harvard, Berkeley, and maybe one or two others.</p>

<p>I myself would prefer Oxbridge because they are located where I eventually want to visit, work and possibly live. I think your opinion may be slightly clouded if you think that you can truly say that HarMIT is better than Oxbridge. It depends upon the subject and what style of teaching you prefer. Oxbridge are more focused towards a single major and graduating usually in 3 years, where as HarMIT (mainly Harvard I believe) is more liberal arts focused and will take 4 years to graduate. Also, learning at Oxbridge is usually more student driven as well as the research done, or so I've heard. The post secondary institutions in England also vary from US highschools, so that must be taken into account as well.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Humanities need to be beefed up as well. The basic programs are decent (though religion and especially art history could use work), but it falls flat beyond that.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>While Stanford doesn't have obscure programs in Altaic Studies, Stanford humanities easily holds its own against Harvard. This year the THE humanities/arts ranking placed Stanford number one in the world, followed by Harvard. The basic programs are more than just "decent" - if you look at individual rankings from NRC, QS, US News, etc. the basic programs in humanities are superb. While Stanford doesn't have as extensive a museum collection as Harvard, the arts are stronger at Stanford - especially in drama/theater and dance. And in the US News fine arts ranking, Stanford makes the top 50, while Harvard is unranked.</p>

<p>Now that I think about it, I retract my agreement from the above - there is a combination that IMO beats Harvard+MIT. That's Stanford+Berkeley, the latter of which makes up for the former's weaknesses in less common professional programs and in the more obscure humanities disciplines. (Adding in UCSF would make the difference even greater.) </p>

<p>It's interesting that the East Coast and the West Coast both have clusters of elite universities (around a body of water no less) that together compete pretty well against each other.</p>

<p>Just do a Stanford/Yale or Stanford/Princeton combination......</p>

<p>^ those aren't close to each other. In the case of H+M, S+B, or Oxbridge, they're all pretty close geographically, which is why people are tempted to cluster them. Stanford+Princeton isn't much different from Stanford alone, as there isn't much where Princeton is distinctly better.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Stanford+Princeton isn't much different from Stanford alone, as there isn't much where Princeton is distinctly better

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Oh, ok, thanks</p>

<p>now</p>

<p>please tell us where UC Berkeley is distinctly better than Stanford</p>

<p>.
.</p>

<p>
[quote]
by phantasmagoric
those aren't close to each other. In the case of H+M, S+B, or Oxbridge, they're all pretty close geographically, which is why people are tempted to cluster them. Stanford+Princeton isn't much different from Stanford alone, as there isn't much where Princeton is distinctly better.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Let's just look at one area, Arts and Humanities:</p>

<p>PhD Graduate Program Rankings - Arts and Humanities</p>

<p>History
1 - Princeton
7 - Stanford</p>

<p>History of Art, Architecture and Archaelogy
7 - Princeton
24 - Stanford</p>

<p>Music
8 - Princeton