Harvard faker jailed for citing school on resume

<p>"A Delaware man convicted of fraud for faking his way into Harvard was ordered held without bail Wednesday after admitting he violated his probation by citing the university on a job resume.</p>

<p>Adam Wheeler, 25, was sentenced last year to 2½ years in jail and 10 years on probation for identity fraud and other charges. The sentence was mostly suspended; Wheeler served just one month in jail while awaiting trial.</p>

<p>Prosecutors said he got into Harvard by falsely claiming that he had attended the exclusive Phillips Academy prep school in Andover and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology ..."</p>

<p>Once a faker . . .</p>

<p>Harvard</a> faker jailed for citing school on resume - US news - msnbc.com</p>

<p>Except he did actually attend Harvard for a year.
I have no sympathy for him at all, but he got busted for listing the year at Harvard on his resume, difficult to seek employment and be honest about that particular year.</p>

<p>Perhaps he should have just written one year at a college in Boston...</p>

<p>But his admission to Harvard was itself based on fraud, and he was prohibited from referring to being a student there.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Under the terms of his probation, Wheeler was barred from representing himself as a Harvard student or graduate. Wheeler's lawyer, Steven Sussman, acknowledged that Wheeler had violated that provision by saying on his resume and in a cover letter for a job application that he had attended Harvard.

[/quote]
What part of his probation statement did he not understand?</p>

<p>Some people just never learn????(and this guy has a seriously sick fixation on Harvard).</p>

<p>Maybe he could say he pursued personal academic interests on the campus of Harvard University. I don't see how he can be ordered to lie and say he never set foot in Harvard in his life.</p>

<p>From a psychological standpoint, I find this guy rather interesting. Don't know if he would classify as a pathological liar, but there's got to be something mentally out-of-place here for him to try these kind of stunts...</p>

<p>I find this situation very sad. This is a young man who trully could have earned his way to Harvard had he gone about it the right way. Instead, he spent all of that time and effort perpetrating a false image. If he could only have realized that his continued hard work and persistence would have netted him a successful future....that is more sad than criminal IMHO.</p>

<p>
[quote]
I don't see how he can be ordered*** to lie*** and say he never set foot in Harvard in his life.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Fair enough. But every time he lists attendance at Harvard on a resume, he should include the fact that he falsified his credentials in order to gain admittance there. Since we want him to be honest and all...</p>

<p><a href="and%20this%20guy%20has%20a%20seriously%20sick%20fixation%20on%20Harvard">quote</a>.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>He could be one of the dozens here on CC with the same fixation. ;)</p>

<p>Not an atty, but I have 2 possibilites that we might consider, referring to post 6.
1) First, let's remember he accepted this punishment, might have even helped negotiate it.
2) It might be viewed as some view a marriage: some choose a dissolution, which basically says the marriage never occurred; yet we typically know the couple went thru a ceremony and lived together. So, a student attending illegitamately could reasonably be considered not to have been a student.</p>

<p>I suppose you could argue that "he" wasn't really a student at Harvard, because Harvard admitted and enrolled a person who didn't really exist.</p>

<p>Well, exactly. Anyone could probably get away with walking into Harvard classes without being an actual student, and then would that make it correct to say they attended Harvard? I don't think so. So if he wasn't legitimately admitted, he no more attended Harvard than I did if I were to wander into a classroom one day.</p>