Donation? Huge bet?
Wonder if Musk will say anything 
"The position accounted for more than half of the roughly $4.3 billion in securities disclosed in the filing — and was worth more than all of HMC’s other reported holdings combined.
HMC’s publicly disclosed portfolio more than doubled this quarter, rising roughly 135 percent to $4.26 billion, its largest reported value since at least 2006."
1 Like
Based on what WashU reported a while back, that might have been around a $60M initial investment. Which is a lot, but not that big for an entity like Harvard.
1 Like
12,935,100 shares for $60M does seem like a deal if you have 60M…fair… though 60M still sounds like a pretty large investment in pre-IPO shares for them…based on amount they have in other things mentioned in the article..though I do NOT follow it closely, at all.
I don’t know the details, but apparently there was some sort of earlyish funding round a bunch of universities took stakes in, some larger than others. I think it is quite right that counts as a big concentrated stake, indeed so far I think Harvard’s would be the largest reported (WashU was maybe more like $50M). But I guess in the context of their overall portfolio they thought it worth the concentrated risk.
I note they have some sort of complicated lockup expiration schedule, but I think the first period actually expired earlier this month. I sort of assume these universities will be diversifying out of this position as soon as practical, but we shall see.
1 Like
ahhh that is super interesting! thanks for that… and looked up the Wash U stake too- I had missed that when announced earlier -