Harvard Notables.

<p><a href="http://www.nndb.com/edu/473/000068269/%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.nndb.com/edu/473/000068269/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Pretty poor list. They are missing at least three US presidents:</p>

<p>John Quincy Adams
Franklin Roosevelt
John Kennedy</p>

<p>Harvard men all.</p>

<p>What about Supreme Court Justice David Souter or Al Gore for that matter?</p>

<p>Yes, Harvard is very rich in its political, cultural and social people. But what about scientists?</p>

<p>Notable scientists who attended Harvard? Oh, I can name a few:</p>

<p>Benjamin Peirce
Robert Oppenheimer
E.O. Wilson
Edwin Land
Sheldon Glashow*
David M. Lee*
Dudley Herschbach*
William Shockley*
Kenneth G. Wilson*
Harold Varmus*
Hugh d. Politzer*
Eric Kandel*
Roald Hofman*
Christian Anfinsen*</p>

<p>*Nobel Prize winner</p>

<p>And I am sure there are more I don't know about. And oh yeah, if you want to consider computer science to be part of science, you can add Bill Gates.</p>

<p>gates never graduated.
steve ballmer did. (hence Maxwell Dworkin).
there's a good list on wikipedia.</p>

<p>Dr. David Ho MD, attended CalTech, MIT and the Harvard Medical School, Chinese American immigrant from Taiwan, 1996 Time Magazine Man of the Year, world renowned AIDS researcher, who developed the use of a mixture of multiple drugs therapy, prolonging the lives of millions of AIDS victims throughout the world (Magic Johnson was one of his patients) and head of the Diamond Institute for AIDS Research and Professor at Rockefellar University and potential Nobel Prize winner in Medicine and Physiology.</p>

<p>He is now actively working on an AIDS vaccine.</p>

<p>Add mathematicians:</p>

<p>Naom Elkies
Daniel Quillen
David Mumford</p>

<p>Quillen and Mumford are both Fields Medals winners.</p>

<p>Plus add another Nobel laureate scientist: Walter Gilbert.</p>

<p>Just little question.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, I don't want all of them, so when did they live and did they study in Harvard as an undergraduates (in contrast, maybe were admitted already to graduate)?</p>

<p>When did they live? Elkies, Quillen, and Mumford are all still alive. Elkies is not yet 40 years old. All three recieved their Ph.D. degrees at Harvard, and Fields Medal winners Quillen and Mumford went undergraduate to Harvard as well.</p>

<p>If your premise to assert that Harvard does not provide excellent math and science undergraduate education, you will fail. It is among the top schools in the world.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Prof John Nash, the Nobel in Economics of "A Beautiful Mind" fame, and Princeton Professor in Economics, turned down Harvard for the study of his PhD in pure Math, in favor of Princeton, because he thought that Princeton had a better Math department at the time, populated by the world's greatest mathematicians. He also receivied financial aid from Princeton, which he didn't receive at Harvard. Please read the book by Sylvia Nasar.</p>

<p>Harvard is not the top school in the world in Applied Math, Applied Sciences and Engineering, or Computer Sciences. Many others rank above Harvard in these fields, notably MIT, CalTech, and UC Berkeley and many others, and even Carnegie-Mellon in Computer Science.</p>

<p>Addittion to last post:</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>This is a blanket statement that is not completely true. Harvard is not ranked #1 in all the pure science departments of the country. This would depend on the science.</p>

<p>According to the rankings from the National Research Council (NRC) several years ago, Harvard only ranked #3 in the Biological Sciences, with #1 Stanford, #2 MIT, #3 Harvard, #4 UC San Diego, #5 UC Berkeley. Cornell is the top Ivy ranked in Enginnering with Princeton, a close 2nd in the Ivies. Harvard's Engineering does not rank in the top 30 in the country and even ranks below Columbia. Harvard's Engineering, of course, ranks below Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, and Caltech.</p>

<p>Harvard can't claim to be the "jack of all trades" and it isn't.</p>

<p>Prof John Nash, the Nobel in Economics of "A Beautiful Mind" fame, and Princeton Professor in Economics, turned down Harvard for the study of his PhD in pure Math, in favor of Princeton, because he thought that Princeton had a better Math department at the time, populated by the world's greatest mathematicians. He also receivied financial aid from Princeton, which he didn't receive at Harvard. Please read the book by Sylvia Nasar.</p>

<p>Harvard is not the top school in the world in Applied Math, Applied Sciences and Engineering, or Computer Sciences. Many others rank above Harvard in these fields, notably MIT, CalTech, and UC Berkeley and many others, and even Carnegie-Mellon in Computer Science.</p>

<p>In the Medical Sciences and Physiology, the Harvard Medical School is arguably the best in the world by a huge margin. The HMS receives over $700 million a year from government sources alone, mainly from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in support of the research done at the HMS and its affliliated hospitals for the teaching of its students, interns, residents and post-grad fellows and for research done by the faculty. No other medical school comes close in the amount of dollars in funding.</p>

<p>I agree that Harvard gives excellent math and science education, AMONG best, but not best. Maybe, I'm wrong, but reading science magazines, looking through science web-sites, watching science programms, I rarely hear "Harvard". MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Cambridge - yes, but Harvard only sometimes.</p>