Has anyone here been granted a dependency override by NYU?

<p>If not, do you know someone who has? Do they get generous financial aid?
I am currently in college but do not have enough credits to transfer to NYU. I currently have been granted a dependency override at the community college i currently attend. When I am done here I plan on applying for a dependency override at NYU as well and was just wondering if they are generous to those students without parental support.</p>


<p>NYU is not generous with aid for anyone. Least of all, transfer students. Most of their funds are allocated to their freshmen. Transfers get whatever money NYU has left over.</p>

<p>People who are granted a dependency override though are in a different situation. Which is why I am asking if anyone here has been granted one or knows someone who has been granted one and how it differs or if it differes at all than aid awarded a dependent student.</p>



<p>Probably not. I tried my best to prove that I'm an independent student who pays for school entirely myself. My aid package did not change.</p>

<p>It's a federal definition.</p>

<p>There are basic requirements a student must meet to be considered an independent student (see The Guide to Federal Student Aid for criteria). If you do not meet these requirements but you still believe you are truly independent of your parents, you may appeal for a "dependency override" with our office. The example below describes the conditions of an acceptable override, but if your situation is different please bring it to our attention for review.</p>


<p>To demonstrate the "involuntary dissolution" of your family you must present:</p>

<p>A letter written by you which states that you do not and cannot have contact with your parents and also explains what precipitated the dissolution of the family.
A letter from a third party (someone not related to you) stating that you do not and cannot have contact with your parents. The letter must be written by someone:
who is professional (preferably your social worker or case worker, a member of the clergy, or a lawyer who has been represented you in legal proceedings), and;
who has personal, first-hand knowledge of your familial situation.
A copy of your completed FAFSA, which must be submitted as if you were an independent student.
If you can provide the appropriate documentation, a dependency override will be considered for you and your financial aid award may be changed based upon an independent status. (Note that just because a student is considered "independent" does not necessarily mean a student's aid will increase.)</p>

<p>From the NYU wesite</p>

<p>More dependency override info:</p>

<p>FinAid</a> | Professional Judgment | Dependency Overrides</p>

I already know the requirements for a dependency override I was just wondering if I could get first hand experience from anyone? Or anyone who works in the school...if you get a signifigant difference. I understand just because you qualify does not mean your aid will chance of course it depends on your need and how much you make along with other variables. Im just talking on average...</p>

<p>bump bump..</p>

<p>I believe my D has a friend who was given a dependency overide. Her situation was that she was a child in a foster home, but as soon as she turned 18, that family relinquished any responsibility for her. Things were ok when she first arrived at NYU(2008), but after that she no longer was able to contact her foster parents nor were they any more financially able to hold them responsible. Her social worker, et al were involved. Her FA was bumped up, but during the summers she has to find her own place to stay, she has roomed(couch) with someone else and had a roomate last summer and has to work. It has not been easy but NYU made it possible for her to stay. She also went abroad for a semester. I don't know any specific details, just what I've been told by my D.</p>