Has anyone with an average GPA gotten into one of the elites?

<p>Has anyone with an average GPA gotten into one of the elites?
Average GPA, meaning 3.5-3.6 unweighted..
Elite meaning the top colleges with less than 15% admit rate...
And of course excluding the legacies, exceptional athletes/musicians/artists, or the super rich.</p>

<p>If so, what was it that made up for the low GPA? High SAT I and SAT II scores? Extremely rigorous curriculum? Essays? Thanks</p>

<p>
[quote]
And of course excluding the legacies, exceptional athletes/musicians/artists, or the super rich.

[/quote]
Well, that's a pretty big exclusion. The son of a Fortune 500 Company CEO in my city, who was suspended twice and probably had about a 2.8 average, goes to Princeton. But John Doe? No.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The son of a Fortune 500 Company CEO in my city, who was suspended twice and probably had about a 2.8 average, goes to Princeton.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>And they say we did away with aristocracy...</p>

<p>Who says that?</p>

<p>so i guess even a 2400 SAT, 12 AP classes, and 800 three times on SATII's wouldnt do anything for the 3.6 gpa guy?</p>

<p>^ At Harvard, Yale, Princeton - probably no. But how will you know for sure unless you apply?</p>

<p>But, seriously, you should do a much better college search than just hoping for one of the uber-elites. You might qualify for some very nice merit money at a school that you'd be really happy at. What schools are on your list so far?</p>

<p>ouch. im guessing stanford would fit in with that group as well.</p>

<p>actually im looking at one super reach (stanford), while duke is my first choice although not as selective as stanford. Some others are UCLA, UC Berkeley, UChicago, Northwestern, and USC.</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>Friend got into CMU and WashU from my competitive school with a 3.4 GPA 4.3wGPA. The highest weighted at my school last year was a 4.9ish and the top 5% was 4.65 at the least (maybe 4.7). According to my school's scattergram, someone got into Stanford with a 4.2 and 2380 SATweighted (definetly less than the other 4 who had 4.8+ but in line with the 2300+). Don't know who it was though (if s/he was URM legacy athlete). UCLA, and UCB may be heavily GPA SAT. Chicago will take you if you can write. Chicago you should get in if you wow them with your essays and interview because they mean more than SAT and grades to them. You may be good for USC and NU is a coin flip depending on your scores. If you get 2400 on the SAT and combined with 3 SATIIs, stuff changes. How strong is a 3.6 uwGPA at your school? At mine it kills rank. The biggest obsticle in you getting into a good school is where people with better grades and similar classes, SAT, and EC strength apply. If your school is like mine, look at top LACs. Noone looks at those.</p>

<p>Upper tier UCs could look delicious with the weighted average you will get by the 12 AP classes.</p>

<p>What's your class rank? That's much more important than GPA. If a 3.6 is top 10% you're fine... if it's a small, college prep school, even top 20% is fine.</p>

<p>Class rank would obviously be effected if you had a bad freshmen year, and yet managed to get great scores in soph/junior/senior... so it makes me wonder what is the logic behind Princeton/Stanford's not looking at freshmen year grades, because if they are looking at rank, the freshmen year grades obviously account for a lower then should be rank. </p>

<p>JBomb, do you have an upward trend? I'm not sure if that would help, though I'd like to know.</p>

<p>no my "bad" year was my sophomore unfortunately...</p>

<p>Someone from our school got in to UCLA with a 3.6 average. SATs weren't spectacular either. Was in top 25-30% of the class academically. Had some strong ECs.</p>

<p>Yes, probably, someone without an outrageous hook has gotten in with that kind of a GPA--if they attend a top prep school with low average GPAs and have a BIG upward trend, or have some kind of legitimate reason for bad grades (say, a mediocre sophomore year because they had cancer). But Suzy McAverage? I doubt it.</p>

<p>Wow, grade inflation must be running rampant in some of these schools. A 3.6 UW GPA would have been in the top 2% at my school.</p>

<p>I told my story over in this thread:</p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=250500%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/showthread.php?t=250500&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>I had a 3.3 unweighted GPA and got into columbia, but on my 2nd try after much hard work and with everything else looking pretty good. Don't try that at home, kids - get those As. :)</p>

<p>My friend got into Dartmouth with a 3.4UW GPA.</p>

<p>was he an athlete? what got him in?</p>

<p>There wasn't a particular thing that "got him in", I don't think. He is a hell of a good writer, though.</p>