Have any parents volunteered for a college fair?

<p>Just wondered if anyone out there has ever volunteered for a college for one of those information fairs. What did you do? Was it hard? Thanks.</p>

<p>Weenie: If you are interested in helping out your alma mater at a college fair, call the admissions office. I'm sure they would love to hear from you. Many have alumni admissions panels and they might ask you to cover a local college night (or nearby) that they can't send a staffer to.
Usually they will give you some training information via a mailing or manual. Maybe they would ask you to come back to campus if it's not too far. Or if they are very organized, the college may send a staff member out to hold a training session for you and other alum.</p>

<p>But usually most college night sessions will require you to hand out current viewbooks, applications, and school profiles and have inquiry cards filled out by the prospective students to be sent back to the office.</p>

<p>If you know the basic answers to how much is tuition?, do you have X major/sport/club? What are your avg. SAT/ACT/GPA scores, when is your Open House?, etc. you would be fine. Be prepared to stand for 2 hours & talk alot (hopefully!)</p>

<p>Yes, I did it. It was a lot of fun. It helps to know basics about your college and also basics about college admissions in general as some students and parents who lack any guidance on college admissions will ask questions.</p>

<p>While I represented Harvard, I also fielded questions like, "Where is it?" and "How do I apply to college."</p>

<p>Your college admissions office should be able to give you brochures and other info.</p>

<p>Hi Weenie,</p>

<p>I've been representing my college at local fairs for about 9 years. The first time, it was like being at a junior-high dance: I, the lonely wallflower from a Northeast LAC, ignored while my tablemate, the rep from Duke, was surrounded by adoring students.</p>

<p>Now I take it all in stride. I <em>have</em> noticed in the past couple of years that more and more freshmen, all dragged in by their parents, are visiting college fairs. Like irishbird and Northstarmom noted, be ready for any and all questions - they can get pretty wacky!</p>

<p>flatlander</p>

<p>Thanks for all suggestions everybody. I was asked by my son's school (?) so my only experience would be vicarious -- but then again, it's sort of an unknown Ohio LAC (and I'm a big cheerleader for it).</p>

<p>I just hope I don't seem too dumb about it!</p>

<p>Bring candy or something else that you can leave out in a dish. That will encourage people to stop and chat. Many people are very shy and will happily chat if they are given encouragement.</p>

<p>Great idea!!!</p>