Have to make a choice between AP Stats and AP Calculus

<p>Alright, here is my dilemma in my senior year schedule. I have to choose between AP Stats and AP Calculus BC. Yet, the thing is, if I choose AP Calculus, there will be repercussions. My current schedule consists of:</p>

<p>AP Physic B
AP Bio
AP Eng Lit
AP Chem
AP Stats
and Civics and Econ (No AP for this)</p>

<p>If I choose AP Calculus, there will be many conflicts, due to the fact that it's on the same periods as AP Chem, while the only other period for AP Chem conflicts with AP Physics, so my schedule would then be:</p>

<p>Non-AP course (Only class available for this period that I can think of is Yearbook)
AP Bio
AP Eng Lit
AP Calculus BC
Civics and Econ
Unscheduled (No class)</p>

<p>So what do I choose? AP Stats with 5 APs in total, or AP Calculus BC with 3 APs in total and no 6th period class. </p>

<p>I understand that Calculus is a very important class to take in High School, so I'm sort of worried as to how some colleges would react to me not taking it. By the way, I'm looking to apply to mid-tier UCs such as Davis or Irvine.</p>

<p>Sorry if this was a bit unclear; I'm a little tired.</p>

<p>I would personally go for the ap cal anc self study the ap stats one</p>

<p>Think about the course that would be most beneficial for your success in college. Rather than how colleges view your course load. </p>

<p>If you're a qualified student, your senior course load shouldn't be a deciding factor.</p>

<p>And cmon there has to be 1 class 6th period you can take... gym? art? choir? something?</p>

<p>AP Calc all the way.</p>

<p>AP Calculus BC approximates a year long college freshman calculus course for math, physics, and engineering majors.</p>

<p>AP Statistics approximates a semester long college statistics course for students who do not have any calculus knowledge. Many majors which require statistics (including economics and business) at some schools require a calculus-based statistics course and do not accept AP Statistics.</p>

<p>I.e. AP Calculus BC will be much more useful for college credit, and will look much more rigorous to a college admissions person looking at your transcript.</p>

<p>Note that AP Physics B is fairly useless for subject credit -- majors that require physics typically require a calculus-based physics course. So, unless it would be your only physics course in high school, AP Physics B would not be a particularly valuable course to take. Of the three sciences, have you already had regular or honors high school courses in some or all of those subjects?</p>

<p>So which schedule would be the more rigorous one? The first one, or the second one? To clarify, yes, there are no other classes that I can take for the second schedule, so I'll end up with a huge hole in 6th period.</p>

<p>I'm not taking into consideration subject credit since I plan to self-study AP Calculus BC. (absurd I know)</p>

<p>Oh, I was told that the senior course loadout was fairly important in applications. Sorry, I'm just a little ignorant when it comes to this stuff. I'm leaning towards AP Calculus BC in that case. I'm still kind of bummed about the hole in 6th period, since there's nothing I can take, save for maybe Teacher's Aid, but I doubt it.</p>

<p>I would actually recommend taking AP Stats. Yeah, AP Calculus is important, but is it important enough that it can cancel out AP Chem, AP Physics B, and AP Stats? No. Those three will be invaluable if you go into the natural sciences in college. </p>

<p>I would recommend you take the heavier load without Calc. Then, try and self-study Calculus. If you feel like it's too hard, don't take the exam, and you will still be ahead of the curve when you take Intro Calc in college.</p>

<p>Can you schedule AP Calculus BC and two of the three sciences? You mentioned that taking AP Calculus BC basically forces you to choose between AP Chemistry and AP Physics B, so why not take one of those and AP Biology?</p>

<p>For example:</p>

<p>AP Chemistry or AP Physics B
AP Biology
AP English Literature
AP Calculus BC
Civics/Economics
elective or AP Statistics or no class</p>

<p>Have you had regular or honors high school courses in all of biology, chemistry, and physics?
What subjects are you considering majoring in?</p>

<p>Hmmmm....that's a tough one. I guess considering your situation, I would pick AP Stats. Even though places like to see you take calculus, you've already taken Calc AB, so you may be fine with just stats this year.</p>

<p>Especially if you have absolutely no class you can fill in for that period, that will show colleges that you aren't committed senior year by taking a free period.</p>

<p>You can always try to self-study calc bc, but to me calc is hard to self-study for. Have you asked your guidance counselor what he/she advises?</p>

<p>if you already took calc ab, take stats</p>

<p>AP stats is useless compared to calc BC.</p>

<p>While I would usually strongly suggest Calculus BC, you do lose 2 science APs. However, you already have an AP science class, so taking 3 seems kind of risky, but you might be able to handle it. Still, 3 vs 5 AP's is a non-negligible difference. I lean towards AP Stats even though that class itself is far less useful than AP Calc BC, simply because you get to keep two other important AP sciences. If you have taken Calculus AB, then go with Stats in a heartbeat. If not, then it's a pretty tough decision, but I personally would pick Stats. I strongly recommend self studying BC since it's really useful to know before college, even if you don't take credit for it (but you really should).</p>

<p>Just talked to my counselor. Apparently if I chose Calculus BC, I would actually have to switch out of AP Eng Lit and out of AP Bio, while still having no class 6th period.</p>

<p>Also, I'm going for pre-med.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Why? It is not like Calculus BC can conflict with two other classes, can it? Or did the school stupidly or intentionally schedule the classes to prevent students from taking both of the most important and useful AP courses (English Literature and Calculus BC)?</p>

<p>Pre-med is not a major; it is a set of courses (chemistry, biology, physics, math, English, possibly a few others) that can be taken around any major. Note that most pre-meds do not get into any medical school, so consider your other academic interests when choosing courses and major besides the pre-med courses.</p>