have to take art in my first year?

<p>i got this message saying i have to take an art course at wash during my freshman year. why is this? was my highschool art class not worth credit for wash, im from cali so the system might be diff. or is it just that all freshman are required to take art?</p>

<p>really? where did you get that message?
i never took art in high school and i didn't get that message
i'm quite worried now, too O_O;</p>

<p>no art classes required.</p>

<p>You don't have to take an art class, per se, but a few VLPA (visual, literary, and performing arts) class, which includes, but its not limited, to art. Music and philosophy are a few of the VLPA subjects.</p>

<p>Art class is not required for admission, but must be made up if there is no acceptable one on the high school record. </p>

<p>Fine</a>, Visual or Performing Arts — CADR — Plan for College — University of Washington</p>

<p>If your art class is denied, you can appeal to admissions if you send the official course description and textbook used.</p>

<p>Same thing happened to me, they didn't count the yearbook class, that my highschool accepted as art, so I was admitted with a deficiency. To get rid of the deficiency, you don't necessarily have to take an art class. I'm currently taking arch 150, appreciation of architecture, to get rid of it. Just talk to an advisor and they will hook you up with a class that works.</p>

<p>[url=<a href="http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/aif/deficiency.html#art%5DDeficiencies%5B/url"&gt;http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/aif/deficiency.html#art]Deficiencies[/url&lt;/a&gt;]&lt;/p>

<p>A student admitted in summer 1992 or later is deficient in fine arts if s/he lacks the University admission requirement of one-half year or one trimester of study in fine, visual, or performing arts in high school. (For students admitted before summer quarter 1992, there was no fine arts admission requirement.) Acceptable high school courses include art appreciation, band, ceramics, choir, dance, dramatic performance and production, drawing, fiber arts, graphic arts, metal design, music appreciation, music theory, orchestra, painting, photography, printmaking, and sculpture. Courses generally not acceptable include architecture, calligraphy, color guard, creative writing, drafting, fashion design, interior design, sewing, and woodworking.
Removal of a fine-arts deficiency</p>

<p>On the college level, the high-school deficiency can be removed by two quarter-credits or more chosen from any of the following subjects: art, art history, cinema/filmmaking (not cinema as literature), dance, music (not audio engineering), photography, or drama (not drama as literature). With the exceptions noted in the previous sentence, all courses in these subjects that appear on the VLPA list may be used to remove a fine arts deficiency.
Courses in architecture are generally not acceptable, except for those in architectural history. A course transferred as "UW X" might remove the deficiency if, for example, it is a cinema studies course in filmmaking. An adviser unsure of whether a certain course may remove the deficiency should contact an adviser in Undergraduate Advising or the Office of Admissions.</p>

<p>All you need to know.</p>