<p>Trust me, hayden, at least as far as the aircrew goes… having FAA inspectors sitting in the cockpit jumpseats looking to bust the crew any time they deviate from some sort of rule doesn’t make you any safer. It just makes us nervous and annoyed. Not better, not safer, just uncomfortable.</p>
<p>Ok, thanks, bus! :)</p>
<p>Honestly, bunsen, it’s true. Just think about doing your job with someone watching over your shoulder, waiting for you to make some error, and your job being in jeopardy for it. It wouldn’t make you better, it would be distracting and nerve wracking. I realize it’s probably necessary to have the hammer hanging over ones head so they don’t deviate from rules too much, and improve safety in a general way…but not for that specific crew.</p>
<p>I’m flying on October 20. Hope I’m not affected! </p>
<p>At this point, no issues in this household.</p>
<p>I hope none of us are affected by the CDC having to shut down programs monitoring the spread of flu, to target vaccination efforts. Or the FDA having to shut down some food safety monitoring. But we could be. I’d better get my flu shot right away.</p>
<p>I haven’t been personally affected (yet), but several family friends have. The most egregious of which is a friend who is a Navy dentist. The Navy sent him to a four-day dental conference on the opposite coast. The flight out was Day 1 of the shutdown. When the plane landed he had a voice-mail waiting for him that said the funding for his trip had been cancelled, and from there on out he was on his own. The rest of the trip was on him.</p>
<p>Today the Navy reconsidered and said they would pay for his airfare back, since they sent him out (Gee, thanks). But the rest of his expenses for the trip are still out of his own pocket.</p>
<p>My D1 works for a private company that makes extensive use of government data websites to prepare reports for their customers. The websites are down this week, requiring them to notify some customers that their reports will be delayed until the end of the shutdown.</p>
<p>Not personal but I am on a charity board that helps a family recovery center- we have to purchase formula, etc. for the moms who now cannot use their WIC vouchers…I was a bit surprised this was considered nonessential…</p>
<p>My D is a federal employee who is currently on a two-week honeymoon in Europe. I assume she is non-essential (an economist who does research on transportation issues) but will not know her status until her return. If she has more time off than her honeymoon, which she happily took without pay because she started this job shortly before her long planned wedding, I suspect she will be among the few who consider it a gift of free time when she can use it. Will be curious to learn her status, as well as her reaction.</p>
<p>MODERATING NOTE:
Posters, please remember that this thread, and all threads on this forum, should be free of political posts as well as posts commenting on moderation. PLEASE do not make extra work for the moderators by posting inappropriately. Please keep to the stated topic in the opening post of this thread.</p>
<p>You may communicate with the moderating team via the “Report Problem Post” option.</p>
<p>Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.</p>
<p>Am scheduled to fly next weekend. Please keep us posted, busdriver!</p>
<p>DS’s gf (public health) is furloughed, as is a friend’s H who works for the IRS. LOL that they (IRS employees) are non essential ;)</p>
<p>If companies are unable to run SSN verification (see the post from someone working in lending), this can affect hiring at companies that run background checks and credit reports on their new hires. I know at least one person who is stuck in this situation, and his new job has nothing to do with the government.</p>
<p>Just cancelled a couple of day vacation I was scheduled to take next week. Was going to visit Utah and a ton of the national parks out that way. From talking to the various hotels on the phone it sounds like they’re going to be empty, and will be hurting with the last leg of the tourist season pretty much disappearing.</p>
<p>A conference call/webinar I participated in that usually has one or more federal employees on the webinar had no federal participation. The website the federal government maintains to share info about the activities our orgs are doing around the country also can’t be updated during the shutdown. People who ordered supplies for activities from the fed govt may not get them in time for their activities.</p>
<p>One fed employee I spoke with who also has a PT job selling things on the Internet has decided to start selling earlier than he had planned (generally waits until closer to Thanksgiving) because he he won’t be getting paid for work he is doing for his fed govt job, tho he is working as directed. He figures his income from the sales will help tide him over until his salary resumes.</p>
<p>on the plus side, I have a chance to go visit an old friend in Chicago this month. She is working on a government contract, and her meetings have been cancelled, so she has some free time to visit.!</p>
<p>Another plus, the IRS hasn’t cashed the check I sent them instantly, like they usually do. So I might earn another $.01 interest in my checking account.</p>
<p>“having FAA inspectors sitting in the cockpit jumpseats looking to bust the crew any time they deviate from some sort of rule doesn’t make you any safer.”</p>
<p>Correct me if I am wrong, but I read the FAA inspectors furloughed are ones which inspect the planes when they are on the ground (or overseas where they are often sent to be be serviced.)</p>
<p>My other favorite college website, collegenavigator.gov, is shut down.</p>
<p>Emilybee’s, that’s what I thought too. Actually though, I learned something new, as I did not know safety inspectors flew with pilots to monitor them. I have never seen them going in or out of the cabin. Busdriver, is that a frequent thing and I just didn’t notice, or is it a random selection deal?</p>
<p>My husband fell and broke his finger on a bike ride today. If we hadn’t been furloughed he’d have been working instead of biking… And he’d rather be working!</p>