<p>Reports are that the Capitol police are required to work but not getting paid. The injured policeman today wasn’t getting paid. Talk about your lousy day.</p>
<p>How very sad. I was wondering if she was personally affected by the shutdown, also. Sounds like she was mentally ill. Saw the congress giving the capitol policemen two standing ovations. I’m sure they did a great job, stopped her before she killed anyone, but something about celebrating a mentally ill woman with a child in the car getting shot…just doesn’t set well with me. A terrorist, I’d be clapping too.</p>
<p>I agree, busdriver. The Capitol police force no doubt did an excellent job and probably had no choice but to kill her, but a woman who does what she did is pretty much mentally ill by definition, and it’s unseemly to applaud her death, however unavoidable it was.</p>
<p>This isn’t the first gov’t shutdown.</p>
<p>Let’s broaden the question. Have you EVER personally been affected by a gov’t shutdown unless you are a gov’t worker?</p>
<p>Not me.</p>
<p>It makes me angry that I need government permission to take a walk in the woods that we all ( not the government) own.</p>
<p>Seems to me we need rules for publicly owned property. Are you mad that you can’t go to the Smithsonian at midnight? That you can’t set up a tent and hold a party in the governor’s mansion (unless you are the governor)? That you can’t have a soccer game in the Capitol? If you think rules and regulations are appropriate for other public spaces, then you can see why they’d be appropriate for parks as well.</p>
<p>And as far as I know, the national forests are still open for hiking.</p>
<p>A standing ovation from the folks who refuse to pay them. I know a Capital Police officer. He said he’d much prefer merely getting paid.</p>
<p>All National Forest developed campgrounds and picnic areas are closed. Some forest roads are closed. (It’s already snowing here in the western mountains. Roads are not being plowed or otherwise maintained.) </p>
<p>But if you can into the forest, you can go hiking.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Yes. </p>
<p>I don’t work for the government. I work for a company that has contracts with the government. And my employer’s business is profoundly affected by the shutdown.</p>
<p>Miramar Airshow in San Diego was scheduled to start tomorrow and was cancelled this morning. So far, no word on whether people who pre-purchased tickets will receive refunds. Same for vendors who bought booth space. Worse for vendors, they already purchased food and other wares and are stuck with no way to sell it all.</p>
<p>My D is doing Americorp, and she says she still working “for now”, but her “bosses” at Americorp aren’t.</p>
<p>
Ditto.</p>
<p>I also know people who are dependent on one or another type of government assistance for paltry things like food and medicine. For that matter, I have colleagues in a foreign country who may have to abandon thousands of dollars of equipment because they cannot currently get the paperwork needed to bring it back into the US.</p>
<p>No politics! As I mentioned up thread, one if the research projects (only partially funded by the DoE) at my school was placed on hiatus. I assumed I had a good chance of getting one of the data analyst positions, but since the shut down, they’re refusing to consider anyone.</p>
<p>I’m not being personally affected by the shutdown, but I just missed it. Yesterday I got back from a three week bike trip, camping out each night, sometimes at National Parks and National Forests. Bikes can sneak around barriers and gates, but it’s more difficult to camp out with no water. I’m home, but many of the other bike tourists I met are still riding, and will be inconvenienced or worse with the park closures.</p>
<p>MODERATOR’S NOTE</p>
<p>** While most posters have remained on topic and kept the thread away from politics, a number of you have created extra work for the moderators. 38 posts on this thread have been edited and/or deleted due to those of you who have not stayed on topic. Please have consideration for your fellow CC members who really wish to see this thread remain open for an aggregate of information, and REMAIN ON TOPIC. </p>
<p>From this point forward, any posters disrespecting the wishes of those wanting to keep this thread open by posting off topic, will be given timeouts. </p>
<p>You have been warned. **</p>
<p>Every time there is this issue about uncertainty about the federal government, it makes our state edgy, because so many work for the federal government and militar, directly and indirectly. Additionally, so many tourists come to see national attractions in our state–USS Arizona, Volcano National park, Haleakala. </p>
<p>We feel very bad for the tourists that come and can’t see what they planned if there are unexpected closures. H worked for the federal government for 45+ years and never knew if his position would be cut, unpredicted furlough, etc. S works for the federal government now and experiences similar uncertainty. He’s supposed to work but no idea if he will be paid later for the work. </p>
<p>It is also a concern when we fly, as to whether anything will affect TSA and slow things down at airports.</p>
<p>I have at least 5 trips planned before the end of the year, all involve flying. I am not excited about the prospects of spending long periods of time in the security lines.</p>
<p>Our family has not been affected by the shut down.</p>
<p>I’m concerned about flying. I have a couple of business trips looming, and I heard today that the federal aviation safety inspectors are forced to sit at home. I don’t much care about long lines because that’s just an inconvenience, but I am really worried about the planes not being subject to safety inspections.</p>
<p>Wow. Googled it - hayden, you are right! No inspections, and Boeing is not being able to make any plane deliveries, since there is no one to inspect them. :eek: (I live in the Boeing country!)</p>