Have you been personally affected by the government shutdown? NO POLITICAL COMMENTS!

<p>without getting political it would be interesting if the folks mentioning trying to reach their reps if they let us know if they were are in the senate or the house and if they are dem or rep. I wonder if there is a pattern or plan to who has cut off communication?</p>

<p>Thanks for that link blueiguana. I have also voiced my opinion.</p>

<p>My family’s lives are going on as usual.</p>

<p>Moderator’s Note: What goes between a legislator and their constituent is not something we care to see posted on CC.</p>

<p>DS works at a US embassy in the Middle East and so far he’s still working.</p>

<p>As I understand it, State Dept has some money still coming in from other sources (visa fees, etc.).</p>

<p>texaspg, Would normal nonpartisan constituent service be considered relevant? That is, something like, “I called my Congressperson to inquire about a recommendation to a service academy and…”?</p>

<p>Can anyone tell us how Congressional workers are paid? Are they paid by the federal government? Paid by campaign monies? Does it vary? Just looking for an understanding why some may be working while others aren’t…</p>

<p>Congressional staffers are paid by the federal government.</p>

<p>The members of Congress themselves have to get paid, but the staffers are like all other federal employees–those who are “excepted” will work without pay for the duration, and the rest are on furlough.</p>

<p>A little girl I know is unable to be admitted to a clinical trial at the NIH, for a potentially life-saving medication to treat her metabolic disorder. I, and many others, will be on the drug once it’s FDA approved (I don’t qualify for the trial)-- so if this causes any delay in FDA approval it will harm our health as well.</p>

<p>Wonder if the custodial staff is considered “essential”?</p>

<p>Very seriously, not to make light of anyone furloughed, but those in DC may be counting their blessings today. Just tried to call DH and there is a shooter on Capitol Hill and they are on lockdown. DH is trying to account for staff so obviously couldn’t talk. No other details. The Washington Post has a ‘tweet’ across the front webpage but no major news outlet has caught this yet.</p>

<p>edit: simply to link a news source. CNN has a short blurb on the incident at this time:</p>

<p><a href=“http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/03/breaking-reports-of-shots-fired-on-capitol-hill/[/url]”>http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/03/breaking-reports-of-shots-fired-on-capitol-hill/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Multiple shots were fired on the Hill, specifically on the west front (Senate side) of the building</p>

<p>Be safe DC denizens. I don’t wish to see more half staff flags flying anytime soon.</p>

<p>Police chase that ended near the Senate building. Lock down is over. Co-workers were attending a meeting at the Hart bldg.</p>

<p>I hope the Cap. Policeman wasn’t seriously injured. </p>

<p>in other news: How shut down is affecting West Point.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/10/03/us/ap-us-budget-battle-west-point.html?hp[/url]”>http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2013/10/03/us/ap-us-budget-battle-west-point.html?hp&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>It appears the driver was shot dead. and there was a child in her car. Unless she is stupid or psycologically unhealthy, it was almost like she was on a suicide mission by doing this. Sad.</p>

<p>Just wonder whether she was personally affected by the government shutdown.</p>

<p>My heart goes out to that child. I hope it was a baby that has no understanding of what took place and will have no memories of the events.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine the trauma if it were an older child who had to watch the events that transpired today.</p>

<p>I suspect this had nothing to do with the government shutdown. It’s likely the woman was mentally ill, had a psychotic breakdown, was on hallucinogens and/or wanted to be killed by the cops.</p>

<p>So unreal and tragic. It is highly likely that this could be a case of “suicide by cops”.</p>