Have you donated money for children with cancer/firefighters/police officers?

<p>Did your money get to them?</p>

<p>[America’s</a> Worst Charities](<a href=“http://www.tampabay.com/americas-worst-charities/]America’s”>America's 50 worst charities rake in nearly $1 billion for corporate fundraisers)</p>

<p>Disgraceful.</p>

<p>Oh I’m sure at least one of them suckered us. Then we got on their master call lists…the calls were always, strangely, from somewhere in Nashville. We finally hardened up and refuse to give to anyone over the phone that we weren’t already donating to. After I started reading about these scams, we refused every blind call…even if it was for the blind, abused, handicapped, cancer stricken, wheel chair bound, burnt in a fire, lost a limb children’s fund!</p>

<p>I usually hang up on them, or, don’t answer at all, thanks to caller ID. But once I answered, and asked, “What percentage of my donation will go directly to the children?” They hung up on ME!</p>

<p>I only donate to a few, very reputable charities, and to the unsolicited calls I say, “Sorry, my donation budget is already spoken for.”</p>

<p>I checked several of these bad guys on [Charity</a> Navigator - America’s Largest Charity Evaluator | Home](<a href=“Page Not found | Charity Navigator”>http://www.charitynavigator.org/). They all had red flags.</p>

<p>I used to give to some of these groups that called. Now we’ve really narrowed down the number of groups we contribute to. If I happen to answer one of their calls by accident I say that I’m unemployed or something.</p>

<p>There is a local charity organization here who only serves one county, but has a name that implies it serves the whole state. They have a big telethon every year and people from all over send money not realizing there’s another organization in their county, and in just about every county, who needs their money and actually does serve their area. It makes me so frustrated every time the telethon comes on.</p>

<p>I am aware of at least one other mega popular charity who is like the ones on this list. I seldom donate anymore at all unless its an organization I have personally worked with.</p>

<p>I aim to give directly to the group and only when I know the organization and how it works locally. I had some business dealings with a telemarketer that claims to represent the police and it was startlingly shady. (Not endorsed by the police, it turned out.) There are many small charitable groups in each community that could use even small donations- soup kitchens, clothing centers- all sorts of projects usually overlooked, doing great work. And with very low overhead. Think about them.</p>

<p>I try to only give to local charities. After finding out the truth about Locks of Love, I’m much more careful with my donations.</p>

<p>Some of the ones that bug me the most are Clean Water Action Committee that go door to door and insinuate that it is a charitable organization and then give you a receipt that says it’s not deductible in the fine print.</p>

<p>Also, the churches that sell raffle tickets that claim right on them that the “donation” is deductible.</p>

<p>I got suckered once by one of those police organizations just after I moved into my house. I think from now on I will say “hang on while I look you up online” and see if they hang up.</p>

<p>I didn’t know anything bad about Locks for Love. Is this what you mean? [Locks</a> of Love](<a href=“http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove]Locks”>http://www.squidoo.com/locksoflove)</p>

<p>I don’t see the problem with raffle tickets purchases being tax deductible. Lots of organizations (not just churches) do this.</p>

<p>CTTC, they sell a ton of the hair and have a large overhead. It was recently reported that they have six million dollars worth of donations unaccounted for. </p>

<p>Somehow they can supposedly use only 20% of hair but local charities can use 75% or more.</p>

<p>I give my hair to local charities.</p>

<p>The non profit that I work with is not allowed to fund raise by selling raffle tickets. We are required to provide a service or product. Raffle tickets are considered to be a form of gambling.</p>

<p>I caught on to the police/state trooper scam a long time ago in New Jersey. I would get a call from a gruff sounding male voice trying real hard to sound like a “State Trooper” asking for money. The police organizations sign off on this BS because they actually do get some money, and apparently don’t care if they only get 1% because after all, it is $$.</p>

<p>

That is something I will have to try to remember to say sometime. I rarely answer the phone anymore, though. Telemarketing by phone is such a nuisance.</p>

<p>I only donate to organizations I’ve vetted myself alongside with trusted friends and relatives. I also tend to be less inclined to give if I am solicited over the phone as I find that to be a time-wasting annoyance.</p>

<p>

You might not, but the IRS does. Buying a raffle ticket is a purchase of a game of chance. It is NOT a charitable contribution. If you want it to be deductible, then donate to the organization.</p>

<p>Our church refused to take the statement off their tickets even though I told them about the rule, so I refused to buy them.</p>

<p>Im glad that people on these boards seem to be savvy.
We no longer have a land line so we don’t get as many solicitations.
However, some still come door to door, I don’t even listen to them, unless they start following me around the front yard as I am working.
Have to watch H though, since he will let them go through their whole spiel & then look around for the checkbook.
:rolleyes:</p>

<p>I prefer to give my money directly to a local shelter/food closet. I don’t see the need for middle men for any charity. Including the United Way.</p>

<p>I always tell the phone solicitors that I don’t donate over the phone, but would be happy to look over any material they send me. No one’s ever taken me up on that offer…</p>