<p>A consititutional ammendment banning AA? You don’t think that’s a bit of overkill? Simply making it illegal would be interferring with private enterprise. Europegrad, are you a Communist?</p>
<p>I agree that in a public school or organization where my tax dollars go to pay for support, there should be no discrimination based on anything other than what an individual candidate has demonstrated they can do. Whatever else anyone else does, isn’t my business. </p>
<p>I feel like a jackass reducing arguments to the point of calling someone a Communist but it seems to me atleast to be valid here. </p>
<p>I also second the “Asians are not a super-race” statement. There are pleny of smart people of any race. There are more smart Whites in America (due to there being more Whites in America total) than there are Asians. </p>
<p>Beyond that, it seems that the OP’s goal of having the thread completely derail into an AA debate has succeeded! Congratulations OP!</p>
It’s mostly 1st/2nd gen Asians that are overachievers, after that they’re like most Americans. African immigrants are actually another high achieving minority; like Asians, their culture values education a lot. And why would they dominate Hollywood, do you think Asians are automatically the most attractive and talented?
Asians make less because they’re often immigrants, the parents don’t speak English but work hard to send kids to college, while many White kids have the benefit of rich parents. Also, White students are more likely to study Business/Finance and become i-bankers, whereas 1st gen Asians often flock to Engineering and Comp Sci.
are you joking, or just stupid? how do you expect society to function with just Engineers? it’s not like math/sci degrees are anymore practical than arts degrees, so don’t know why you included those if it’s about practicality. What about architecture, nursing, design, economics, finance, education etc - are you Engineers planning on covering every job in the universe? </p>
<p>I agree with you on one thing, there’s way too many dumb people in college…your post made that clear.</p>
<p>You obviously didn’t read my post. I said that after all variables are accounted for, Asians still make less. Key words being ‘all variables’ and ‘accounted for’. This means that the Asian mechanical engineer with a 3.5 from MIT is making less than a white mechanical engineering with the same credentials. </p>
<p>Many white kids don’t have the benefit of rich parents. The vast majority don’t. The reason whites get hirer pay given similar credentials is racism pure and simple. Asians hit a very real glass wall like women and other minorities. They’re just too busy worrying about the very real and unfair threat that is Affirmative Action to focus on it. If Affirmative Action is ever banned they would definitely take a stand against the systematic racism they face in the job market. </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Nice stereotype, bro!</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Nice ad hominem, bro! It really lets me know that I’ve struck a nerve and made you frustrated. </p>
<p>Society doesn’t need a glut of barely literate English and Sociology majors. Very few people are capable of getting much from a liberal arts education and would be far better served learning a skill, trade, or majoring in a science or engineering if they’re able. America isn’t doing itself a favor by churning out liberal arts grads with stifling debt.</p>
<p>Even with AA, whites and Asians make about $10,000 more than URMs after getting a bachelor’s degree. Despite Asians being supposedly better (I do not believe this) they make less money than whites at all levels below advanced degrees.</p>
<p>Sexism is also alive, with full time, year round female workers making $20,000 less than their similarly educated male counterparts.</p>
Thanks, yours were pretty good too. hey, we should start a supremacist club together…I can defend the White folks while you stand up for the Asians…together we will put the minorities in their place!
Nah, brah, I’m a Science major too. Good thinking, we should get rid of the stupid Arts majors. Together, we can run all the businesses, teach the kids, design the houses, run politics and the economy. Gosh, we’re just that good, aren’t we?</p>
<p>…No, but really, majors like History and Sociology aren’t needed as much as Engineering, but get rid of them entirely? That can’t make sense even to you. And how are science majors like Physics, Astronomy, Bio, Chem, etc more practical? I’ve yet to learn any real-world applications in my Chem classes…unless you only mean applied science like Engineering, Comp Sci, Nursing.</p>
<p>I’d like to see it by major and by college, but hard work, confidence and motivation only goes part of the way to explaining a $20,000 gap among full-time workers.</p>
<p>I don’t think we should get rid of all social science and liberal arts majors. I think we should get rid of social science and liberal arts majors at average schools. Way too many people rack up five digit debt getting any old degree is Studies Studies hoping that a B.A. will get them ahead. That just isn’t right. Restricting majors to the sciences will push a lot of people out of college and force employers to find another means of weeding out potential employees. The high school diploma would regain its former value, and college would once again be an Academy rather than a white collar trade school. Or universities would be greedy and further dilute science majors. Whatever. </p>
<p>Restricting financial aid to certain majors might be necessary as well…or better, we could just make educational loans dischargeable. That way, banks would be less willing to give some guy $50,000 to finance his Communications degree at Podunk University.</p>
<p>I retract my statement. We shouldn’t get rid of social science and liberal arts majors at average universities. We should make student loans dischargeable. Fair?</p>
<p>From what I understand, women tend to study things that don’t have high salaries. Engineering is male dominated. Business is balanced. What percentage of Literature and Language majors are women? </p>
<p>I imagine that alone is a huge part of it.</p>
<p>Another $9000 is your inability to recognize the difference between $11,000 and $20,000. </p>
<p>“Working full-time, year-round was
associated with higher earnings for
both men and women, but there
was still an $11,000 gender difference
in annual earnings (about
$47,000 for men and $36,000 for
women).”</p>
<p>QwertyKey appears to have touched upon this, but isn’t it possible that these women are working in lesser positions? I would like to see numbers comparing genders and races who work in the same position at a company. I’m not saying that this is definitely the case, but it is possible.</p>
<p>Why do people try to act as if racism, sexism, ageism, homophobia, weightism, ableism, any type -ism either happens very rarely or doesn’t exist anymore? You shouldn’t pull out the [insert discriminated term] card or point the finger at a majority everytime somethings goes wrong, but burying your head in the sand won’t do much good either. You can’t say that all the women weren’t hard enough workers.</p>
<p>NearL, you’re telling me that I shouldn’t get as much financial aid because I want to major in Journalism? You make it seem as if liberal arts majors have like an 5% chance of succeeding in life. People have succeeded and succeeded big with liberal arts majors. Should their dream be financially downsized because they aren’t ‘doing anything for the economy’ or ‘have a lesser chance of making big bucks?’ There’s more to life than Math, Science, and Engineering. Believe or not, our society benefits from liberal arts majors, socially and economically.</p>
<p>Maybe because they have not experienced it. Racism, for example, is nearly impossible to see if you or one close to you is not the subject. Affirmative Action is pretty hard to miss.</p>
<p>And to everyone who’s come onto this thread whining about the abundance of AA threads appearing on CC – I have said the same thing on other threads, but this case is different in that the OP is actually providing some support for their claims. Also, they are very careful to make their post non-offensive, which is very important to realize. Please read posts before commenting on them.</p>
<p>"From what I understand, women tend to study things that don’t have high salaries. Engineering is male dominated. Business is balanced. What percentage of Literature and Language majors are women?</p>
<p>I imagine that alone is a huge part of it."</p>
<p>I don’t think this actually explains it at all. Unfortunately I do not have the exact statistics on hand, because I sold the textbook back to the bookstore, but excepting some government jobs, generally, women make less than male counterparts in the same profession regardless of what that profession is. The weird thing is that the gap actually widens with higher levels of education. Overall women make about 3/4ths as much as men do.</p>
<p>My mom actually worked for a somewhat backwater manufacturing plant where men were regularly started at higher salaries than women with the same level of experience. Naturally it made my mother nuts.</p>
<p>"And to everyone who’s come onto this thread whining about the abundance of AA threads appearing on CC "</p>
<p>I was ‘whining’ about the abundance of them on this thread. Abundance of the pointless ones, I mean. Basically CC to me is the college life thread and my school’s thread.</p>
<p>“My mom actually worked for a somewhat backwater manufacturing plant where men were regularly started at higher salaries than women with the same level of experience. Naturally it made my mother nuts.”</p>
<p>I’m almost certin this is illegal and has been for decades… I’m looking it up right now…</p>
<p>…</p>
<p>“Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964”</p>
<p>If it was before then, well, that was a long time ago. If it was more recent, there should be some legal recourse she can take.</p>
<p>I heard this was because of pregnancy? Supposedly some employers pay women less because of the chance they’ll get married/have a baby and take time off, or quit?</p>