Haven't gotten a single scholarship

<p>I applied to about 10 different scholarships this year, some from private organizations like American Postal Workers Union (APWU) and others from Virginia Tech, which I will be attending next year. </p>

<p>I have a 4.38 GPA weighted (don't know unweighted), I'm 7th rank in my senior class, I'm the Head of Electronics in Technology Student Association (TSA), I did track my freshmen year, I have over 30 hours of community service, I was involved in my school band and jazz band, and I was involved in Key Club last year. My SAT was a 1970, which isn't high by any standards, but it was higher than some of my classmates. I wrote essays for many of the scholarships and had teachers revise them, saying that they were excellent essays.</p>

<p>And yet, I haven't gotten a single scholarship. My parents were hoping for some scholarship to reduce the financial burden, even though they pledged to pay all four years of my schooling at Tech.</p>

<p>However, I did mess up the FAFSA report a few times, and had to get it revised several about two or three times after the deadlines of some of the scholarships. Could scholarships be directly linked to the FAFSA report? I applied to a few merit scholarships, and I didn't get any, so I wasn't entirely sure.</p>

<p>After the third time of filling out the FAFSA report correctly, I received some student loans totaling about $5k. My dad didn't want any of them because he didn't want me to pay them off after I leave Tech. He still wished I got some scholarships though.</p>

<p>If you didn't list those scholarships as recipients of FAFSA, then they have no idea of what your FAFSA says.</p>

<p>BTW...since all you got was loans from FAFSA, that suggests that your family's income (even once the FAFSA was corrected) would have been high enough that if income was a consideration, that would have hurt your chances (but only if income was a consideration and they had access to FAFSA (did you list them to receive your FAFSA?)</p>

<p>The truth is that it is very difficult to get outside scholarships and NO ONE should depend or expect to win any. Anyone who really wants/needs scholarship should apply to some schools that give them.</p>

<p>If you want to help out your parents, get a summer job and pay for your books. That probably would have been about the amount you would have gotten anyway. Private scholarships tend to be small and only for one year.</p>

<p>If you do want scholarships after freshman year, your best bet is probably going to be departmental scholarships. As mom2collegekids said, private scholarships are hard to get (almost disproportionately hard, since a lot of them require a lot of work and they give you what you could have made working at McDonald's for the same amount of time, or even less than that, for one year only). Some people exaggerate the likelihood and size of scholarships, using some of the bigger name Bill Gates or McDonalds' based scholarships as proxies for every single one.</p>

<p>It's extremely hard to get national scholarships. The easiest scholarships to get are ones offered through your college and in your hometown. This means its important to apply to colleges offering merit scholarships that you're likely to qualify for. Typically, this means colleges where your stats put you in the top quarter of admitted students.</p>

<p>The most scholarships that are available are for high school seniors. There are few scholarships available for students who are already in college except for scholarships that some corporations, professional organizations and academic departments offer to college seniors depending on their majors.</p>

<p>I actually do have a job, and I already promised my dad that I would pay for my tablet required for engineering, which is about $2k anyway.</p>

<p>Although thank you for all the help everyone.</p>

<p>I actually do have a job, and I already promised my dad that I would pay for my tablet required for engineering, which is about $2k anyway.</p>

<p>Although thank you for all the help everyone.</p>