Health benefits of coconut oil - eating and applying to skin?

<p>Has anyone had any experience with coconut oil? I have heard about the benefits of eating it but I wonder if it increases cholesterol? </p>

<p>Also, is it too greasy to absorb into the skin?</p>

<p>I use it all the time. I don’t know about the cholesterol but it is supposed to be “good for you” according to raw foodies. I don’t think it’s too greasy to absorb into the skin but the smell is strong though!</p>

<p>Refined coconut oil has no small at all (at least to me. I can not get much of a smell from the jar that I have.). It is my understanding that unrefined coconut oil has a coconut scent. </p>

<p>It will absorb into the skin just fine.</p>

<p>I’ve always been told coconut oil is one of the “bad ones” for consumption. Don’t know about skin, but in some cultures, it’s extensively used as hair cream.</p>

<p>Even with pure vegetarian diets, south Indians have among the highest cholesterol levels in the world (but they don;t have the highest heart disease rates, although they can be high). The culprits are thought to be palm oil and coconut oil.</p>

<p>Coconut water (the liquid inside the “tender coconut”) is said to be very good for health, mildly antiseptic, and good for stomach upsets.</p>

<p>^^ have heard exactly the same thing, at least the part about the coconut/palm oil.</p>

<p>Coconut oil and Palm oil are two completely different things. The latter is bad for you and is usually used as an ingredient in convenience foods.</p>

<p>I believe that palm oil is used in cooking in India.</p>

<p>Have you tried shea butter? It doesn’t have the strong smell ( to me) of coconut oil.</p>