D @ 27 is under TCC (temporary continuation of coverage) after reaching 26 and going off my FEHB federal health insurance plan. It is now a year later and she has 2 years more she can stay on it. However, it looks like she may get full time employment and will probably be offered health insurance.What to do? Has anyone had to navigate this recently?
Are you asking if she should switch to the new employer’s insurance? You’d have to compare the cost and the benefits offered. If she doesn’t switch now, she should be careful to sign up during the open enrollment period before her current coverage ends.
However, if she does switch, I don’t think she can go back to TCC once she cancels her coverage. At that point she’d have to go to an individual policy.
That is exactly what I’m asking! She would be starting a job that is an unknown how long she would stay, hopefully long, but you never know. Yes, that is what I was unsure of on the timing of asking to join their coverage. Her insurance in 2 years would end exactly during open enrollment in December if that enrollment is the same everywhere.
My understanding of TCC is that it’s only available for 18 months, like Cobra.
I believe the 18 month expiration should be a qualifying event for your D (entitling her to enroll in other policies), but to be safe, I’d check with FEHB carrier currently insuring your D under TCC and have her ask her HR at her new job.
Thinking this through is very helpful.
Actually it is 36 months because she was a child and covered until 26. I or my spouse are different stories. I agree to ask her HR but it is sometimes misguided. I know this is hard to believe but my HR in a federal employment took months to correct their mistake of coverage for her in TCC.
I know that she can pick up TCC again if she was federally employed and then left but these jobs are not federal that she is considering.
I guess the question for the new HR is, 'Can you add health insurance later? And is there an open season for this and when?'
Yes, that is a good Q to have new HR answer. Our S opted to remain under our FEHB plan until he aged out at 26. When he turned 26, it was a qualifying event and he was able to get a policy with HIS employer, who was also the fed govt. He was happy not to have any premiums or copays (we covered all of them) until he turned 26.
Some employers will even give a small payment to employees who opt out of insurance coverage—my brother’s employer which is a bank offers $100/month for folks who decline coverage because they have insurance via spouse. It’s not much but it is something. It’s worth inquiring with new HR as well.
We were going to keep our 22yo daughter on ours. However after we looked at it we realized that there were no in network options for care in her new area. All care would be out of network. Financially it didn’t make sense so she is on the employer’s plan.
Update. D switched at employment to the health insurance that was a state university plan. I cannot believe it is actually free for her. Waiting for a one month refund from the fed plan she was under with TCC.
If she loses her job, she can get covered through COBRA or buy from the Marketplace. My older kids have changed insurance plans like they are shoes. .