HealthyHabits - Food Tips (2021 and beyond)

Pulled up this family recipe from my SIL since the weather is cooling - her kids called them SIL’s “BILLION $ Granola Bars” because they liked them so much.

INGREDIENTS
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, loosely packed
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/8 cup toasted wheat germ
1/8 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup honey (or less, depending on your taste)
3 T. olive oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup dried fruit

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter an 9x13 baking dish and line it with parchment paper.

Toss the oatmeal, almonds, pumpkin seeds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ and ground flax seeds.

Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.

While the mixture is still warm, stir in the olive oil, honey, vanilla and salt until the mixture is well coated, then the dried fruit. Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish and press, press, press it in until the mixture is packed as tightly as possible.

Bake for 25 minutes, until light golden brown. Cool for 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares.

Store in an airtight container at room temperature.

1 Like

I also use almond butter (or sesame butter) in my morning smoothie (w/frozen berries, almond milk, and chocolate, vegan protein powder).

1 Like

Today I had a partial portion of leftover oatmeal. I decided to add a tablespoon of almond butter along with the normal half banana. Since we have an excess of plain yogurt, I used that instead of milk. It was pretty good. Next time I might add some nuts too.

2 Likes