Hearing from a college after withdrawing

<p>My daughter applied Early Action to a small LAC in November, and received a letter from the dean of enrollment on December 3 telling her they had received everything needed to review her application. According to the website, the EA decision notification date was January 31.</p>

<p>January 31 comes and goes, and in the meantime, she got into the three other schools to which she applied Early Action, including her first choice.</p>

<p>Two weeks go by, then a month, at which point, my daughter emailed the dean to withdraw her application. No reply from the dean confirming she had received my daughter's email, but my daughter assumed she would not hear back anyway.</p>

<p>Well, in today's mail, a letter from the college arrived - telling my daughter they put her on the waitlist! We both started laughing, because it seemed so ludicrous. This was <em>six weeks</em> after she was supposed to have received a decision, and <em>two weeks</em> after she withdrew her application!</p>

<p>Has anybody had a similar experience with a college?</p>

<p>I'll be the first to say that during reading season, some email slips through the cracks. A formal letter would have gone through the processing that email doesn't and the decision probably would have been logged into the school's computer system.</p>

<p>Well, my S got emails from his academic adviser after he clicked the Decline button (or whatever it was called) online from one school where he had been accepted. At first, he actually thought it was from <em>his</em> school because the email edu addresses were quite similar, lol. And, so, at first he started corresponding with "his" adviser.</p>

<p>We assumed the computer program misfired somehow and contacted the academic department to let them know of the error and then contacted admissions.</p>

<p>I could well imagine that an email to the Dean might fail to be routed correctly to whomever removes applications from the active "pile." </p>

<p>I think I've read several anecdotes here on cc of acceptances/rejections/housing choice letters after students have withdrawn.</p>

<p>Aren't you glad it wasn't the first choice?</p>

<p>Thanks, Dean J. Still - isn't a decision letter mailed six weeks after the advertised mail-by date a little late? Or is it a common practice now? The school I interview for as an alum is pretty strict about sending decision letters out on time; I assumed all schools did.</p>

<p>jmmom - very happy! The ironic thing is that this school, statistically on paper at least, should have been her safety. Lesson learned: Never assume!</p>

<p>A few years back D was accepted SCEA to Y. She immediately withdrew all of her other applications, including one to Williams, as Y truly was her #1 choice.</p>

<p>The following April 1 she received a letter from Williams advising her she had been waitlisted. She wrote them again reminding them of her withdrawal of her application the previous December. Two weeks later came a letter from Williams advising her she had been rejected.</p>

<p>UMDAD that'll show her.</p>

<p>My son got accepted to Lehigh two years ago, despite not even having come close to finishing his application.</p>

<p>Even though my son withdrew all his college applications after his Pomona early acceptance, he still heard from three of the UC schools. Only Berkeley actually acknowledged his withdraw letter, along with the other privates he applied to.
Curiously, he received application materials from Claremont McKenna the following year! Clearly, messages do get crossed from time to time.</p>

<p>My daughter got a letter from Brown saying that her file was incomplete a couple of months after she had withdrawn her application to Brown because she had been accepted ED at another college. She sent all of her withdrawals by postal mail, so it was not an e-mail problem.</p>

<p>I think this sort of thing happens all the time.</p>

<p>But the scary part of this is that if anyone had checked her application status at the colleges she applied to, it might have shown that her application was still pending at Brown despite her obligation to withdraw her application after having been accepted ED at the other college.</p>

<p>It is common, my D was accepted to her first choice ED, she had submitted an application to another school (her first choice safety school) early to meet a required scholarship deadline. Within a week of her ED acceptance she fired off a letter to the other school, to clear out of the scholarship competition - but she still got a scholarship award. Now that was a tough letter for Mom and Dad to see - the big scholarship bucks she ... we were giving away for her dream school!</p>

<p>Lol, I love how people applying nowadays get to pay 60/70/80 bucks for the privilege of having their decisions delayed without explanation and their emails ignored. Do you think the college would have been sympathetic if your daughter's application had been six weeks late? Yet they don't even hold their admissions committee to the same standard.</p>

<p>The admissions process is broken and in need of fixing in some many ways that it isn't even funny.</p>

<p>One of the UVA admissions people does a blog. It has pictures of their applications file room. The volume of paper is amazing.</p>