Help a Confused Pre-Law Rising Jr. VA. High GPA, Mid-ECs, Pre-Law (econ,poly,psych?) [4.0 GPA, top 5%, 1540 SAT]

So as others are saying, UVA and W&M are such great choices for you and really any potential law school student (in-state) that it is hard for me to suggest paying a lot more.

So if it were me, I would mostly be thinking about possibly chasing merit. Like Richmond and Washington & Lee both sometimes offer big merit awards, so those make sense. There are many others outside of Virginia that could also work.

If you still want to consider some non-merit privates, I would first have a frank conversation with your parents about paying for law school. If they would pay for all of both a full pay private college and law school, OK then. But if there is a limit, you could talk about saving on college but redirecting those savings to law school.

4 Likes

Thanks @thumper1 - just saw this!

Like what others are suggesting UVA is such a strong state school option that it will not be easy to beat it. On the other hand, you are a very strong applicant and can have several similar options if you choose go that route.

If it were me, I would consider UVA and W&M in-state. To be SUPER safe, I would consider one even less competitive option. I truly do not think you will need it but better to be safe than sorry. Besides those three schools, I would round out my list with three top-end privates from the list that you already created. If it were me, I would go with Harvard, Yale, and Princeton and feel good knowing that UVA is every bit as strong as any other school on your private list.

You are going to have a great process IMO becasue you do not need to apply to 10+ schools to achieve what you want.

2 Likes

Congrats on a great record. I think you can get in anywhere - but if your parents want to pay at most $80-90K, then many of these will be above. So there’s that - and given your majors, I’m not sure I wouldn’t choose a Va Tech or CNU over these.

Now you can eliminate some - UCONN will be way cheaper than the UCs and has merit - maybe half the price. Would you choose a UC over a UCONN, Delaware or UMASS? If not, you can eliminate the UCs.

I suspect you get in in-state. And if you are going to law school, you don’t need any of your public or private. Harvard Law, in its first year, has 160+ schools represented in a class of less than 600. UVA 130+ schools in its small class. Penn has more than 200 colleges in its law school.

So a UCONN, BING, UMASS, etc would be great subs - and if you love a Duke or Brown, etc. and you might get in - it’s great - but you can add a Rochester or Syracuse as a back up sub.

Bst of luck.