HELP! Cal or Stanford?

<p>I've gotten into both schools and I don't know where I want to go! I live about 30 min from Berkekely and a little farther than that from Stanford and have been a bear fan because of my parents.
But the big thing is I am going to be playing a sport and have recieved scholarships from both, but Stanford's team is MUCH better and their facilities are AWESOME! But I feel really comfortable and am friends with many Cal players already... What should I do?</p>

<p><a href="http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=15400&repository=0001_article%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://daily.stanford.edu/tempo?page=content&id=15400&repository=0001_article&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>What kind of question is that? You already answered it yourself. "I feel really comfortable....."
Besides, you can't have others make your decision.</p>

<p>i'd choose stanford</p>

<p>Agree with Stanford.</p>

<p>It's really simple. Will you be happy with large classes and not getting to know professors? Choose Cal, they certainly have good departments. Do you want smaller classes and a more intimate college experience with individual attention? Stanford without question.</p>

<p>Another issue to consider is price. Cal is certainly going to be way cheaper than Stanford unless you qualify for financial aid at Stanford. Both are exellent schools but I think Krimum hit the nail on the head in her comparison of the two.</p>

<p>money is not much of an issue for me right now, I will only be paying about a year's worth more at Stanford... I guess this is really the question: Great team that I would play on with beautiful facilities at Stanford? or- Good team with people I am already comfortable with at Cal???</p>

<p>Kirmum, I have many friends who went to Stanford and most complained that they had too many big classes (over 100 students) and seldom got to know their professors. Stanford, like most research universities does not prioritize undergraduate education.</p>

<p>Sneffet, I would go with the school you think would make you happiest. Both universities are excellent. Stanford has a slightly better reputation, but comfort and happyness are the tie breaker in this situation.</p>

<p>I'd go with Stanford... In a heartbeat...</p>

<p>screw friends... you can make them later. Stanford.</p>

<p>prestige whores!</p>

<p>Yep, Alexandre is right. People have reported/complained about large classes at Stanford as well. Most major universities have this characteristic (even tiny little Caltech). This is especially true for lower division coursework where the material is pretty much homogenous accross schools.</p>

<p>Oh yeah, to answer your question, I think you have it made because of your choices. You cannot go wrong either way. Almost everyone wishes they had choices similar that. Many people cannot get into such great schools. Stanford probably carries just a tiny bit more "wow" factor but the Berkeley experience cannot be matched.</p>

<p>Assuming you're a recruited athlete, I think the question is not where you know the players -- you'll get to know the players at Stanford -- but to compare their programs in your sport. What about the coach? What about policies towards which classes you take or towards whether exams or a game come first? Are you sure you want to play the sport four years and, if you decide not to, would you lose your scholarship at Stanford? etc, etc. There are parents on this board with kids who are athletes who might be able to help you answer some of these questions. But, given the huge commitment of college sports, they seem very important to me.</p>

<p>.....standford, duh.</p>

<p>You should go wherever you'd be happiest. It is the college experience that is most important. So choose the one that has more to offer.</p>

<p>This is like choosing between Harvard and NYU. The choice is quite clear.</p>

<p>ubermensch, NYU is not comparable with Berkeley at all, NYU at most is just as good as UCSD.</p>

<p>Ubermensch, I'll have some of what you are smoking. Stanford is indeed as good as Harvard, but Cal is much better than NYU. Cal is ranked anywhere from #6 and #8 in the country. Stanford has a slight edge, but it is only slight.</p>