CHANCE FOR HARVARD REA APPLICANT
Demographics: Asian male, competitive high school
Intended Major: Undecided
SAT: 1500 (800 Math, 700 Reading).
UW/W GPA: 4.0/4.83
Coursework: Took all 7 APs (six 5s, one 2 oops haha screw ap gov amirite) that my school offers + 1 self-study. Currently dual enrolled in 3 local college courses.
- Research Science Institute (RSI) 2020
- ISEF Grand Award + 2 special awards
- JSHS National Finalist
- 1st place in state STEM competition (3x)
- AIME Qualifier (5x)
- RSI 2020
- Varsity sports all four years, MVP + cocaptain this season
- President of 3 STEM clubs at school (math, scibowl, robotics)
- Research intern at local prestigious institution for 3 years
- Published research w/ high impact factor (2019)
- Invited speaker to national research conference (among PhD students)
- 400 service hours through Key Club, NHS, local food bank
Overall, I think I could have done more in high school. If I could redo the past 4 years, I’d probably try to have more well-rounded/stronger ECs. sad
- Research mentor (for the past 3 years) - 10/10: she knows me really well and showed me her rec after submitting it to Harvard
- AP Calc BC teacher - 9/10: I never really had to pay attention in his class bc I already knew all the material (and he knew this too), but he’s also the advisor for math team and scibowl (which I run)
- English 11 Honors teacher - 7/10: I’m not really good at English but I’m pretty sure she liked me. A lot of dumb kids were in the class bc my school doesn’t offer AP English classes, so I stood out.
- Essays - 5.6/10: like I said I’m really bad at writing but I got my summer camp friends to read them and they said they were alright.
- Harvard REA (match)
- Dartmouth (low match)
- Berkeley (safety)
- Maybe some other schools like Princeton and Stanford if I don’t get in Harvard.
I know like my profile seems strong but I’m really insecure about myself and I am pretty bad at writing. Also I don’t really know what I want to do (undecided) so idk if colleges will hold that against me.