HELP! List of Colleges that have majors in Fashion Merchandisng/Design AND Pre-Med ??

<p>Okay here’s the story me and my friend want to attend the same college. We live in the states but want to go to a college in Canada. Canadian colleges are inexpensive as it is so there’s no worry. The only problem is I used the search on this site to find the best match and it was going fairly well BUT none of the colleges seem to have BOTH majors , fashion & pre-med. ._.</p>

<p>I’m really not sure what to do from here, maybe they missed some of the colleges there OR maybe there’s another term for pre-med and I passed over it but I’m hoping maybe you guys have suggestions :slight_smile: </p>

<p>ps. I’m new here so HEYYYYYYYY</p>

<p>For the most part, pre-med is not a major at all.Rather, it is just a list of recquired courses in order to be accepted medical school. Most pre-meds major in biology or some science, although you don’t have to.</p>

<p>Okay that helps, I should be a bit specific she wants to become a veterinarian so I’m not sure what major category that would go under.</p>

<p>A pre-vet track would be similar to a pre-med track:
[Education</a> - Pre-Vet Club - Required Courses - Stanford University School of Medicine](<a href=“http://med.stanford.edu/compmed/pre-veterinary/courses.html]Education”>http://med.stanford.edu/compmed/pre-veterinary/courses.html)
[Undergraduate</a> Course Requirements » Veterinary Education » College of Veterinary Medicine » University of Florida](<a href=“http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/undergraduate-course-requirements/]Undergraduate”>http://education.vetmed.ufl.edu/admissions/undergraduate-course-requirements/)</p>

<p>Again, a pre-vet or pre-med “track” is not a major. It’s a set of courses that complements (and may intersect with) major requirements & course distribution requirements (if any).</p>

<p>I think that’s going to be a tough one. Any good college will be fine for premed, the required courses will be offered everywhere. Fashion merchandizing/design is not usually offered at university. You usually go to specifically oriented fashion and/or arts schools for this. Time to go to plan B and try 2 colleges in the same city so you can both work at the best schools for your goals.
[Fashion</a> Design School in Quebec - What Are Some Schools To Go To For Fashion - Seventeen](<a href=“http://www.seventeen.com/college/advice/fashion-cqa-113007]Fashion”>http://www.seventeen.com/college/advice/fashion-cqa-113007)</p>

<p>The Canadian equivalent to premed is generally called: “life Sciences”. However you do not necessarily need to be a life sci major to get into medschool, although most medschool applicants I knew were in Life Sciences. It does prepare you well for the MCAT though. Remember when you do a test like the MCAT you are competing against other students, and in this situation the person with the unrelated major will often be at a big disadvantage compared to students who have been studying biology/chemistry/physics in a life sci related major.</p>

<p>I don’t know if UofT has a fashion program but I know it has a top life sci program, and is literally right beside the Bata Shoe museum so it wouldn’t surprise me if it had at least a few fashion related courses. You might want to check out the course calender.</p>

<p>If you don’t mind me asking are you a Canadian/Dual citizen living in the US or an American? Because the fees differ substantially.</p>

<p>Hmm I’m going to have to tell her all this and we both live in the US as Americans</p>

<p>If you are an American you pay “International Student” fees. It is substantially more than the fees for Canadian students (listed at $5,865 for a bachelors degree in the Faculty of Arts and science for domestic students, but $33,679 for non-Canadian students).</p>

<p>[Arts</a> & Science including UTM & UTSc (International Fees)](<a href=“http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/link/students/fees14/intl_as.htm]Arts”>http://www.provost.utoronto.ca/link/students/fees14/intl_as.htm)</p>

<p>The only Canadian university that I know of that gives special discounts to Americans is the University Windsor, at around $5000 per year. However Windsor does not have anywhere the brand name recognition of a school such as Toronto. </p>

<p>[University</a> of Windsor slashes tuition cost for Americans - Windsor - CBC News](<a href=“http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/story/2013/05/02/wdr-university-windsor-international-students-americans-tuition-cut.html]University”>University of Windsor slashes tuition cost for Americans | CBC News)</p>

<p>McGill might be the best choice for you and your friend since it has prestige (like UofT) and substantially cheaper for international students. However its fees differ greatly depending on what degree you are going for (eg. a BA is $14500 in tuition fees whereas a BSC is $28000)</p>

<p>[Student</a> Accounts - McGill University](<a href=“http://www.mcgill.ca/student-accounts/tuition-charges/fallwinter-term-tuition-and-fees/undergraduate-fees]Student”>| Student Accounts - McGill University)</p>

<p>However at least according to NBC, it is still can be cheaper to go to school in Canada.
[US</a> colleges too expensive? Look to Canada - Video on NBCNews.com](<a href=“http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51652290#51652290]US”>http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51652290#51652290)
The price of your education scares me…</p>

<p>I hope this helps you</p>

<p>Thank you for all the information I’ll be sure to look into those colleges you listed && yes Canadian colleges are cheaper than the US not including scholarships so its better :slight_smile: Lets hope I can come to a conclusion I only have less than a year left of high school.</p>

<p>One important thing I completely forgot to mention. There is the Ontario College of Art and Design (OCAD) (it is acutually a degree granting university now) right beside UofT. I would be very surprised if they did not have a fashion design course. OCAD has been partnered with UofT in the past (when it was a college it would grant degrees through UofT) so if you wanted you could maybe take fashion courses at OCAD and a life science major at Toronto.
You would probably have to contact both universities to plan this out though.</p>

<p>Maybe you should try to go to different colleges that are close together? If you look at city colleges such as Boston or NYC, that should be easy to find. After freshman year you can get an apartment together.</p>

<p>Check out Concordia in Montreal.
Very strong on sciences and strong in the arts. While they do not have a specific
major in Fashion Design, they do have a very vibrant Design department, with a great program in Fibres. They also have one of the better Design for Theater programs, which does require a supplemental application.</p>

<p>If you are considering pre-vet, it really helps to go to a college that has a Vet School. </p>

<p>Some top low tuition colleges with Vet school:</p>

<p>North Carolina State University
Iowa State University
University of Minnesota
Louisiana State University
Kansas State University</p>

<p>Maybe. State-owned vet schools reserve the vast majority of their vet school seats for in-state residents. And I don’t think going there for undergrad grants you resident status. So you need to do some serious research about the best path to veterinary medicine. In a lot of ways it is more difficult to get into than medical school.
Here is a quote from Iowa State about their vet school seats [Positions</a> and Residency | Iowa State University](<a href=“Welcome | Iowa State University”>http://vetmed.iastate.edu/academics/prospective-students/admissions/positions-and-residency)
:

More details on residency requirements [Admissions</a> and Registrar < Iowa State University](<a href=“Admissions | Iowa State University Catalog”>Admissions | Iowa State University Catalog)</p>