Help me add a couple REACHES to my list!

<p>I'm a rising senior from Northern Virginia, so I have a good number of excellent in-state colleges to apply to, but I think I'd do myself a disservice to not apply to at least 1 or 2 reach schools. Here are my stats:</p>

<p>SAT: 1970/2400, 1290/1600 (first try, no studying. will retake in october)
UW GPA: 3.82/4
W GPA: 4.4/5</p>

<p>AP Courses by end of high school: Chemistry, Euro History (5), US History (4), Language and Comp (5), Literature, US Government (school offers very few AP classes).
All other non-AP courses were honors since the beginning of freshman year. So I will have about 16-20 honors and AP courses by the end of high school.</p>

<p>EC's include:
- Physics peer tutor
- National Honors Society
- National French Honors Society
- editor-in-chief for a division of a global online video game organization
- co-manager of another online organization for 1 year
- black belt in martial arts
- co captain on school's Georgetown University History Bowl team
- co founder of school's quiz bowl team
- chess club </p>

<p>Here is my list so far. I have a pretty solid list of good safeties and matches:</p>

<ol>
<li>Hood College - safety/match (would get the 40k NHS scholarship + an academic scholarship, fits my idea of perfect fit college in terms of what I'm looking for)</li>
<li>Virginia Tech - match</li>
<li>UVA - match</li>
<li>William and Mary - match (applying ED here, my ideal school)</li>
<li>York College of PA - safety (I love the area and it also offers engineering)</li>
<li>University of Maryland - match (have a legacy hook here)</li>
<li>George Mason University - safety</li>
</ol>

<p>I'm looking for a couple reach schools that are very similar to William and Mary in terms of the surrounding area, size, and atmosphere. Help give me suggestions.</p>

<p>bumparoooooo</p>

<p>Any reason that you must have reaches if you really like schools that happen to be safety or match for you?</p>

<p>Not necessarily a reach but have you considered University of Richmond?</p>

<p>What's your major?</p>

<p>Have you talked with your parents about the money? Is everything on your list clearly fully affordable?</p>

<p>I would think you're going to have to get 40-50 pts. higher on your SAT (CR + M) to consider UVA & W & M matches.</p>

<p>Yeah, I'd say you already have a few reaches as your application now stands. I know many, many students with similar stats to yours who were rejected at almost all of the schools you denoted as matches (UMD-CP, UVA, W&M, VaTech)</p>

<p>Lehigh, Bucknell.</p>

<p>well im in-state for UVA and W&M, and i have a legacy at UM-CP, so as long as my stats are in the 50th percentile for those schools, i think i can consider it a match</p>

<p>Legacy is not considered at all schools. Public schools are less likely to consider legacy status.</p>

<p>Unfortunately, UMCP does not have its common data set on its web site; this tells whether legacy status is considered. However, UMBC's common data set indicates that legacy status is not considered at all.</p>

<p>UVA and William and Mary are already your reaches.</p>

<p>UMCP does NOT give legacy preference, but it is still probably a match for you. I agree that W and M and UVA are not matches unless you raise your SAT scores. I believe that it's harder for kids from Northern Va to get in to those schools than from other parts of the state.</p>

<p>You might want to also consider JMU and Mary Washington in-state, and St. Mary's in Maryland. If cost isn't an option, there are some privates that would be somewhat similar to W and M - Wake Forest, Gettysburg, Dickinson to name a few.</p>

<p>I recommend wake forest. its a high quality school aka UVa and WandM peer (Rank 28? in USWR) that doesn't place a huge emphasis on SAT scores. I maybe even heard they were taking them out in the future. You should look into it.</p>

<p>never knew it was HARDER for a northern va student to get into UVA and W&M. thanks for the info.</p>

<p>What website do you work for? Your ECs in my mind are fantastic because they show that you are pursuing what you enjoy. I would raise the sat a bit and possibly apply to a school in us news world report top 30 universities. I think that although your sat scores aren't high your grades and ECs could give you boost. Plus those schools give great financial aid.</p>

<p>Well I sort of have a passion for video games, but not in the nerdy way. I was the editor-in-chief for the call of duty division of National</a> ESL: Home - USA - Electronic Sports League, ESL being one of the world's largest video game organizations which gives out usually over hundreds of thousands of dollars in prizes per year through tournaments hosted around the world.</p>

<p>That's awesome. I know what you mean about video games in not the nerdy way because that's how I am. I have a great passion but my life isn't devoted. I think that extracurricular is fantastic, something to be proud of, and if you use it correctly (possibly some essays) you have a good shot at many schools.</p>

<p>The whole concept of safety/match/stretch goes out the window if you are applying to highly selective programs within potentially less selective schools overall. If you are liberal arts/school of arts and sciences, you may be able to apply general GPAs and class rank percentages. But if you are aiming for a nationally or internationally ranked program within a public university...your competition will be much greater. Example -my son goes to University of Cincinnati, public school in midwest which is generally not considered highly competitive - average ACT is about 22. His particular program is ranked #2 in US and among the top in the world, with average ACT scores of 28-32. So - don't count your state schools as "match" just because you are a resident. If you have found schools that meet your academic, social, geographic and financial requirements - look no further.</p>