Intended major: Biology, but I want the freedom to take political science courses and perhaps minor in that.
Future plans: I’m currently planning on applying to medical school, but that could absolutely change and I’m in no way committed to that. Based on that I might change my major after starting.
- University of Toronto St. George (Trinity College) *
- Pros: Cost ($20k/yr), awesome city with lots of opportunities, extended family near Toronto, highly ranked.
- Cons: Student life is diminished (commuter college), much less academic freedom than the others, lower quality connections with professors than the others, lower quality alumni network.
- Swarthmore College *
- Pros: Small class size, better connections with professors, close to my home, good alumni network, relative academic freedom.
- Cons: Cost ($60k/yr), not a lot of research opportunities, grade deflation, small town = less opportunities, smaller course offerings than the others.
- Brown University *
- Pros: Class sizes are small but not too small, about 4 hours from my home, very close to Boston, excellent alumni network, most academic freedom, most research opportunities, academics are not as cutthroat but still excellent, and the Ivy factor (how much is this actually worth?)
- Cons: Cost ($71k/yr) (I've appealed and I think they will match Swat), technically ranked lower than Toronto in USNWR global rankings.