Help me find a friendly campus

<p>I'm looking for a college where people are friendly and genuinely care about people besides themselves. The problem is, I don't want to go to a small LAC. I'm looking for a school that is interested in athletics, has over 5,000 students and is on the East coast anywhere from NC on up. I'm thinking about majoring in bio or chem, definitely something in the sciences. I don't want tuition to be above 20,000 after aid. </p>

<p>Stats:
GPA- 4.0
Class Rank: 4/112
SATs: 710 math, 690, reading, 710 writing
Involvement in many sports and clubs</p>

<p>Will you qualify for financial aid or are you talking about merit aid? Will you be a National Merit Finalist?</p>

<p>Rutgers
UConn
UMass
Penn State
Pitt
UVM
UNH</p>

<p>A suggestion for ya- look at universities based upon culture of the surrounding area. For example, you may find that people are kinder [Minnesota nice] in the midwest than say individuals in New England. Similarly, you may find that people in the Southeast are more polite, if more formal, than individuals on the west coast. I believe this is represented in the universities that are filled with these individuals. Best of luck</p>

<p>UNC is friendly with lots of clubs and sports. OOS it is a reach.</p>

<p>Hard to tell what private schools will give enough aid to get you down to 20K (you're talking about half price or less). I would think the best shot would be a smaller school looking for quality students from your state. Those smaller schools, though, may not be as sports crazy (D-II or D-III). Most state schools should be in your price range, even as OOS. The flagship state schools would be best for athletics, and most have good science depts. You may find that the smaller schools, while perhaps less rabid with sports, may have a more caring student body--or at least feel that way due the size.</p>

<p>What state are you from?</p>

<p>*I don't want tuition to be above 20,000 after aid. *</p>

<p>What kind of aid are you talking about? Financial Aid or Merit Scholarships???</p>

<p>Most OOS publics won't give you their financial aid to help you pay their OOS costs.</p>

<p>If you're very low income, then you might get some federal free aid (up to about $5500, depending on EFC), but that won't put much of a dent in the typical OOS costs of $35k - 50k per year.</p>

<p>So, if you want to go to an OOS public, you'll likely need to look at schools that will give you big scholarships for your stats.</p>

<p>I am from PA and will not receive any financial aid, so only merit aid. I guess I'm looking for state schools, both in and out of state. I have visited Penn State and Millersville. I liked Penn State, the sports, campus and all the opportunities it has, I am just a little worried about it being too much of a party school for me. I am also looking at UNC, William & Mary and possibly some of the SUNYs.</p>

<p>James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA</p>

<p>OK...so you need big merit aid since most OOS schools (public and private) will cost about $35k - 50k per year. </p>

<p>If you're interested in watching big school sports, then why would you consider the SUNYs????</p>

<p>You need a strategy...</p>

<p>You can apply to some schools that have competitive merit scholarships in hope of being awarded one, but you need to apply to some schools that will have ASSURED merit scholarships for your stats - so that you will be sure that you have a couple of financial safety schools (schools that you KNOW for sure will be affordable based on automatic scholarships). See below....</p>

<p>AUTO SCHOLARSHIPS.....$$$ CC Important links to Auto Scholarships... </p>

<p><a href="http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/848226-important-links-automatic-guaranteed-merit-scholarships.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/848226-important-links-automatic-guaranteed-merit-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>University of Minnesota. Great Midwestern prestige, nice people, last year built a brand new football stadium (TCF Bank Stadium) that's fantastic, has Tubby Smith coaching Basketball, and will only cost you about 23K in tuition out of state.</p>

<p>Its not on the east coast, but its what you're looking for. For a little pricier an option, try University of Wisconsin, which is similar except with a little better academics and a little higher price.</p>

<p>Duke seems to match well.</p>

<p>*University of Minnesota. Great Midwestern prestige, nice people, last year built a brand new football stadium (TCF Bank Stadium) that's fantastic, has Tubby Smith coaching Basketball, and will only cost you about 23K in tuition out of state.</p>

<p>Its not on the east coast, but its what you're looking for. For a little pricier an option, try University of Wisconsin, which is similar except with a little better academics and a little higher price. *</p>

<p>UW a little higher price??? Huh????</p>

<p>UMinn COA is about $25k for an OOS student. UW COA is about $37k for an OOS student. And, UW isn't likely going to give him a scholarship.</p>

<p>You might qualify for the Schreyer Honors College at Penn State. That could be the best of both worlds. </p>

<p>Also suggest Vanderbilt.</p>

<p>Schreyer</a> Honors College</p>

<p>Look at William & Mary. OP almost described it perfectly.</p>

<p>If you can get into Penn State's Schreyers Honors, then this will likely be your best financial option and maybe educational offering, not to mention that it's an impressive collection of students housed in the middle of one of the most spirited campuses in the USA. Your stats are competitive for Schreyers, but their app process is more demanding than regular Penn State and you would need to demonstrate a lot with your essays and other softer aspects of the app. Good luck!</p>

<p>James Madison's Tuition, Room and Board is 28,342 OOS. JMU does not have a LOT of merit aid.... but you you could apply EA (non-binding) and apply for the Dingledine Scholarship which covers the full cost of in-state tuition. There are also "Second Century Scholarships" for students majoring in science and technology fields.</p>

<p>Freshman</a> Scholarship Programs at James Madison University</p>