Help me please

<p>Can anyone inside tell me the differences between Big Problems and other colleges' interdisciplinary courses besides its fancy name? I need to learn about things worth writing about for Why essay, so plz do me a favor!</p>

<p>No one? Maybe I should just put it direct. Is it rare that interdisciplinary course's topic be a real issue in the world? Do help me > _<</p>

<p>Meh. Probably not the most interesting thing to write about, in my opinion... But I would suggest reading this, if you haven't already, and base your answer off that:
Big</a> Problems - University of Chicago Catalog</p>

<p>I think the most creative Why UChicago essay I've heard about was someone writing a love letter to the college. By love letter, I mean full out love letter - think over-romantic, over-hormoned high school love letter. It was great. I was somewhat boring and wrote about the traditions of the school (I did this for every school I applied to... I was formulaic and talked about how the traditions of a school mirror the student body's true spirit and how ____ tradition and ____ tradition said ____ and _____ about ____ blah blah blah)</p>

<p>^Do you have that letter now?
Anyway, Uchicago seems so bitter a lover to me. LoL</p>

<p>I can't figure out even with the official website. Anyone else?</p>

<p>Jack: I think there are a couple of reasons why no one is responding. First, it seems like you are trying to manufacture some nice-sounding reason why you like the University of Chicago for your application. Everyone understands your wanting to do that, but it's not legitimate, and you are not going to get a lot of volunteers to help. You should write your "Why Chicago?" essay honestly. If Big Problems appeals to you, it's OK to say that. If you can figure out why it's different from other universities' programs, fine, but that's not really a requirement. (If you can't figure out how it's different . . . that doesn't speak well to your research or reading skills. Sorry.)</p>

<p>Second, Big Problems isn't really that big a deal at Chicago. I doubt there are more than 4-5 people per class who have that major, and maybe not that many. A few other people may check it out seriously. The chances are slight that any of those people would even read your post. </p>

<p>Third, even if they did, they might not have any idea how their program differs from programs elsewhere, since that may never have been relevant to them. Most people, when they go to college, pretend to know what they want to major in, but they really have no clue. They know practically nothing about huge classes of things that occupy a lot of real estate at a university (like . . . all of the social sciences, philosophy, art and literary theory). Few people go to college expecting to have to build their own majors, and most of those that do are mistaken. By the time people get around to deciding to major in something like Big Problems, a lot of water has passed under the bridge, and they are doing it because that's the best option for them now, not something they had been planning about and comparison-shopping for years ago.</p>

<p>^Thank you so much for your honesty! Your vision is insightful.</p>

<p>Just a note, Big Problems is not a major/program of any sort. They are a collection of 'capstone' like courses that are limited to third and fourth-years.</p>

<p>zakuropanda is right, of course. I got Big Problems confused with Interdisciplinary Studies in the Humanities and Fundamentals. (The Fundamentals junior paper requirement smells a little like a Big Problems BA.)</p>

<p>Anyway, here's a link to a Maroon article last year about BP: Big</a> Problems turns ten and faces the future – The Chicago Maroon</p>

<p>I am so so grateful! You all are a lot of help!!!</p>