Help me with my college dreams...

<p>Neither of my parents went to college so I don't know much about college at all and I need help. </p>

<p>I've been in religious private schools since 1st grade through high school and have never been a great student. I graduated with a 2.7 with very few EC's. After high school I was pushed toward IT and I attended a Mass CC studying in Network Engineering. I've attempted 51 credits and only completed 24. I didn't really like IT but my gen ed's went well. I found out computers where not for me and I'd much rather go into Accounting. I'm a RI resident and am not sure where I should go next. I've been a commuter student at CC but I would much rather board and get the full college experience but I'm not sure what my options are given my mediocre past academic performance. </p>

<p>I've gotten into Johnson & Wales, which is a joke and its pretty expensive for me. I'd love to transfer to UMASS Amherst since they are a AACSB school. I was also thinking of URI which is a non AACSB school. </p>

<p>Given my situation, can you offer some suggestions on what to do next</p>

<p>What is your CC GPA?
What do you now want to major in?
Big or small school?
Where in the country?</p>

<p>CC was a 3.0 </p>

<p>I'm from Rhode Island</p>

<p>I'm not sure on school size I've always been to small schools and everything in Rhode Island is small... I do want to get away and get out of Rhode Island though</p>

<p>And what major?</p>

<p>I was thinking Accounting, or Finance I love business, money, investing and the stock market. I love numbers and money. Possibly CPA down the road...</p>

<p>Well, I can think of a few places you might try with your gpa understand that I only have a small number of schools I have seen but here are some to look at.
University of Idaho
The College of Idaho
Texas State University
Old Dominion University
I am sure there are many other schools out there to meet your needs you just have to find them.</p>

<p>OP- I am a bit concerned about your 3.0 GPA at a CC. I am not trying to be rude, but you may want to work on raising your GPA by retaking some courses. Accounting and Finance are both EXTREMELY competitive fields and they are the fields where an employer will look at your GPA. Internships I have applied to as a finance student often have a 3.5 GPA cutoff. It will be terribly hard for you to get into a legit CPA program if you have a 3.0, much less get a competitive internship. I have a 3.8 in my finance program and I feel the bitter sting of the competition still.</p>

<p>My boyfriend has a 3.1 as an accounting major, and has yet to find an internship because there are so many smart kids out there. </p>

<p>I'm not by any means telling you that your GPA is poor or that you can't do this, just that if you are going to put the money into taking on this kind of path, your grades have to be pretty top notch if you want job security or internship opportunities. </p>

<p>Also, accounting and finance, depending where you work, are pretty computer based. In fact, most things are done on computers. It's not really the case anymore where you are crunching numbers on pen and paper. Talk to people in the industry about their jobs and what they love/hate. Many schools have mentorship programs where you can shadow.</p>

<p>The financial world can be very boring or very exciting. Financial products and accounting are very complicated, yet fascinating. It's not as glitzy as some people think, but it can be enjoyable if you have a passion for that sort of thing.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>During CC I had to work a part time job and I could never focus on just academics which was definitely difficult to do. My hopes are to go away and board so I can actually focus on getting a degree but I really haven't found my passion or career path. Just like everyone else I want job security and to live the American dream but getting there seems out of my reach...</p>

<p>Would Johnson and Wales Providence be a bad choice? Or should I go and do a third year at CC, just do gen ed's and bring my GPA up and next year look to transfer to a 4 year school?</p>

<p>No offense, but lots of people work part time jobs and still keep up their high GPA's, including myself and several of my friends who are pharm/nursing/med students. If you can't handle a part time job and full time school and want to be an accounting student with eventual CPA hopes, maybe you should revise your study techniques or look into an easier major. I am not an accounting student but I have taken accounting coursework, and that stuff requires dedication. Also, how would you get a part time internship and full time coursework if you can't get the grades up now? </p>

<p>I would seriously work on bringing that GPA up. That's your best bet.</p>

<p>Thanks for the help if I go back to CC to get my GPA up what should I do in the mean time to find a career that is right for me?</p>

<p>Don't go to Johnson and Wales. There are plenty of good accounting schools for less money. I am an accountant and I already had an undergraduate degree when I switched to accounting. I was able to pick up all the accounting courses I needed at my local community college. If you have a good CC you should have plenty of accounting courses to take next year to bring up your GPA and help you decide if you like it.</p>

<p>Living on campus will not help you focus on academics. If anything, there will be more distractions.</p>

<p>How much can you afford?</p>