High quality home treadmill

<p>You guys usually have some good advice.</p>

<p>I want to purchase a high quality home treadmill because I can't get my husband to go to the gym and he won't use the elliptical I have at home in case I can't get to the gym that day.</p>

<p>I'd like it to be as maintenance free as possible, obviously.</p>

<p>what do you guys recommend?</p>

<p>Do you want to get this for him or for yourself?</p>

<p>My experience is that you can't get someone else to workout on something that they don't want to workout on.</p>

<p>That said, I think that $5K on a treadmill gets you decent gym-level quality. We have a bunch of old treadmills at the office that work well - they are on a maintenance contract and I believe that the maintenance company comes in every three months to do maintenance work on them.</p>

<p>In a home setup, I would expect excellent ventilation along with a surface that can suport the unit and handle some of the dirt put out by these machines (stuff spins off the back, dust collects, etc.)</p>

<p>thanks BC--</p>

<p>He works at least 10-12 hours a day. </p>

<p>I just want to make it as convenient as possible for him to get on and off of a machine. He's habitual. If he does it for a month, he'll do it for the rest of his life.</p>

<p>So, I want it to be there in front of him.</p>

<p>So, do you think a Precor? That's what we have at the gym. I like that one.</p>

<p>Is there a big difference between the home versions and the gym versions?</p>

<p>
[quote]
Is there a big difference between the home versions and the gym versions?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>HUGE difference. A commercial treadmill is made to be used EVERYDAY for HOURS at a time. A home treadmill is made for use 3-4 times a week for an hour or two a day. That is a big difference. </p>

<p>I would look at a refurbished or remanufactured commercial piece if I were you...</p>

<p>I have a basic version of the best selling Precor treadmill and I'm happy with it. Owned it for two years now, and it does get used several times a week when it is rainy outside, which happens a lot. The treadmill comes with a 10 year warranty. It feels as sturdy as their commecial grade products.</p>

<p>9.31</a> Treadmill | Treadmills | Home | Precor</p>

<p>We did not feel that the additional programming features available on 9.33 and 9.35 justified the cost difference (really, all I do is push the stop/start button and adjust speed and incline as I run). It works with any Polar heart rate monitor, but I hate, hate, hate chest straps (a bra is enough for me!).
Do not get 9.2* versions. They have much narrower belts, feel flimsy and do not come with the GFX.</p>

<p>Go to a fitness equipment store and run on the treadmills there to get a feel for what you like/need/etc.</p>

<p>We have a Soft Trac model from Star Trac and we've had them in use for ten years I believe. I do think that there's a big difference between home stuff and gym stuff (outside of the Concept II Rower).</p>

<p>thanks for the link. that helps.</p>

<p>I bought my current treadmill from Costco after the last one died. I think it's an Epic and I'm happy w it.</p>

<p>You need to pay a visit to the Treadmill Doctor. This is the best site I found for treadmill information and reviews. Prepare to spend a few hours learning more than you ever wanted to know about treadmills. I used it extensively when I purchased a treadmill 5 years ago. </p>

<p>Here's their Best Buy page, which divides up treadmills into price categories:</p>

<p>Best</a> Treadmill To Buy- Treadmill Best Buy Awards</p>

<p>If your husband won't use elliptical at home, why would he start using a treadmill? Maybe get a $500 used machine as a trial, and move up to better machine if he does exercise on treadmill regularly. $5000 is a lot of money to spend on a machine that might end up being used as a clothes hanger. Lots of people sell treadmills cheap a couple of months after New Years day when their resolutions fade...maybe get treadmill then? Or maybe rent a machine for a month and buy one later if your husband gets into exercise groove.</p>

<p>
[quote]
If your husband won't use elliptical at home, why would he start using a treadmill?

[/quote]

I personally hate ellipticals. For some reason they cause me a lot of back pain. I won't use one.</p>

<p>A treadmill is totally different, mine gets regular use. It sits right next to DW's elliptical, and she uses the treadmill much more now.</p>

<p>I would never spend $5K though. I waited until the one I wanted went on sale, it wound up being around $1600 for a very highly rated model.</p>

<p>You need to think of things like his/your stride length and the width of the deck. I am not a big person, but I feel like I'm going to step on the sides if a treadmill is too narrow or short. The commercial decks are better. That said, some of my running friends have gotten great treadmills on sale for about $1500. I like Precor of LifeFitness brand (commercial grade). I don't need a lot of fancy displays, but I want a big, smooth, stable deck and minutes per mile display. Miles per hour is stupid.</p>

<p>If you're in a quiet neighborhood and have some daylight, maybe just get some running shoes and do the Couch to 5K plan instead of spending $5K on a treadmill. Cool</a> Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>This is the wife trying to get the husband to workout at home - getting him to run outside would probably be harder than getting him to run on a treadmill.</p>

<p>Good advice from MOfWC. One can read a ton of reviews and research treadmills to death to find the "best of them all" only to discover that it does not feel right for him/her personally. OP, your H needs to go to a store and test a few models out. We both felt very comfortable running on the Precor we ended up buying (and we did not pay $5K - stores will have them on sale; ours was just about $3K with tax and delivery). On our machine one can display either mph or pace. I prefer pace, but I've ran on it so much that I don't even need to do mental math to tell what pace corresponds to what speed. FWIW, I did a good part of marathon training om my Precor.</p>

<p>I do not like to use ellipticals either. The only elliptical I would consider is the elliptical bike ElliptiGo.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I'd much rather run outside than run on a treadmill.</p>

<p>I would pay for delivery to the ROOM (as opposed to the front door) and set up.</p>

<p>UCB- Yes, many of us prefer to run outdoors, but that was not the OP's question. Believe it or not, some people want to exercise indoors or may have to do to weather, location etc.</p>

<p>ucb, move to Seattle and try to do some runnin' outside of your 10-hr workday outdoors in January. You will either join a gym or run to the nearest *Play It Again Sports *;) We actually started running outdoors, but it was too much of a hassle to wring our waterproof clothing dry after each run.</p>

<p>MOfWC, yes, another excellent point! You do NOT want a tredmill that weighs less than the heaviest user's weight plus maybe 50 lb or so. The Precor store folks assume that the machine is delivered to a room where it gets assembled. I thought it was worth the extra 50 bucks. The delivery dudes did a happy dance when they learned that *the room *was our office right next to the front door. :)</p>

<p>I like ellipticals & I have sciatica.
My favorite for cardio is the rowing machine though.
( I also use an upright bike- rarely use a treadmill or stair machine)
I also prefer inside- I do hike etc- but I have asthma & it is much worse outside.</p>

<p>But if you are set on a treadmill- I agree about getting one big enough- consumer models may be smaller & lighter than those for commercial use.</p>

<p>I had a treadmill for years (True brand, and I know for a fact that it is still running well, because the guy I sold it to is now selling it again). I only used it when I really couldn't stand going outside, and that became less and less as I acquired the equipment I needed to be comfortable outside year round. Mostly, I hated it so much that it served as incentive to get outside.</p>

<p>I do like the elliptical, but that also serves as incentive to get outside.</p>

<p>If you don't want to go outside in the Pacific NW winter, let me recommend Shower's Pass rain gear. Comfortable, dry... </p>

<p>I also have raincoats for the dogs. Makes us all a lot happier.</p>