High school acceptance rates to top schools

<p>DS attends a private catholic boys HS. Looking at the lists of colleges to which students were accepted in 2007, '08, and '09 (2010 not out yet), there are no HYPSDB acceptances in the past 3 years. Does this suggest that the HS is not very highly regarded in those circles? There are only a few Columbia, MIT, UPenn's. Cornell shows up every year, most likely because we are in New York State.</p>

<p>ETA: No Amherst, Swarthmore, or Williams either...</p>

<p>It could be that the pool is self-selecting, and choosing schools like Villanova, Georgetown, Notre Dame, BC, etc over those other schools.</p>

<p>Having a little trouble with the B in HYPSDB. Care to share? Could it be possibly be Brown?</p>

<p>class of 2010 at DS's public HS has one of the better admission years. About 12 out of 180 graduates are going to T20, including Stanford, Harvard, Yale (2) etc.</p>

<p>

Yeah, Brown. </p>

<p>Given the families these kids are coming from, it seems very likely that at least some of them would be applying to these schools...</p>

<p>In an interesting (?) sidenote, one day I called the GC office to see if they could tell me DS's class rank. They told me they don't rank, but tell colleges what percent the kid falls into. DS has a gpa about 91, and GC said he would be "in the top 35%". That seems kind of skewed to me.</p>

<p>I might be lighting a fire when I say this, but I think (my opinion only!!) that in this past year, those colleges you listed were looking to "diversify" their student body. It could be that your HS is quite homogeneously white, middle/upper class. </p>

<p>I say that only because some amazing students who had won all sorts of national recognition awards and had high scores and gpa saw WL or rejections on April 1st, while equally talented kids who were "URM" got in a multitude of colleges. That seemed what was happening particularly at Brown this year. </p>

<p>For a more accurate guide, take a look through the acceptance threads at each school. It's still only kids who are on this forum, but it's a wider reach than just your one HS.</p>

<p>10 charrrr...</p>

<p>

I suppose that could be true. The HS is pretty white, middle/upper class. No Duke admissions there either. Cousin's D just got accepted to Duke for next year (rejected by Stanford) and she is URM, and goes to a public suburban HS in the same area. Not saying that's why she got in, but all very interesting.</p>

<p>oh here we go with that distinct "URM advantage" again...</p>

<p>Could it be that the guidance counselor is pushing Catholic colleges?</p>

<p>Without knowing SAT scores and extras (ECs or science research for example) there's no way to know if the high school is the problem or the students just haven't been that strong.</p>

<p>We have a very diverse high school, but it is not the URMs by and large who are getting into the most elite schools - though there are generally a handful.</p>

<p>just so it's clear (and this isn't directed to anyone in particular): my comment was sarcastic. there is no URM advantage. hence the term, 'URM'...</p>

<p>Where kids apply is usually driven by family and peers. Sounds like your HS isn't part of the culture that is interested in elite colleges. It is unusual these days if the school has an upper class population.</p>

<p>Do they use Naviance? What does it show - Are they applying and being rejected or just not applying? If they are being rejected - one thing I'd try if I were trying to dig into why a high school wasn't sending many kids to some of the most selective schools, I'd try to dig into what appears to be the rigor of the classes there. If the school offers AP classes, does everyone who takes AP classes take the AP tests that go with them? Does virtually everyone get a 3 4 or 5, with plenty of 5's?</p>

<p>Maybe after paying private HS tuition, the parents can't/won't pay for HYPSDB?</p>

<p>Each class at said HS is around 180 graduating students. Many of the families are well-to-do, so surely money can't be stopping people. Also, some underprivileged students get major financial assistance there.</p>

<p>
[quote]
In an interesting (?) sidenote, one day I called the GC office to see if they could tell me DS's class rank. They told me they don't rank, but tell colleges what percent the kid falls into. DS has a gpa about 91, and GC said he would be "in the top 35%". That seems kind of skewed to me.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Not unusual in an academically rigorous school. Son had a 92 and was around the 30th percentile, especially when you have a lot of high-achieving kids (we did). A 91-92 is really a B+ (actually on our grading scale an A was a 93-100). If the school does a good job in explaining the academic rigors on their school profile, the college will understand the competitiveness of that particular school. At our school, over 85% of the students get a 3 or better on the AP exams and all are required to take the exam. Also, they put the avg SAT, # of NMSFs, etc. on the school profile to help the colleges get an overview of the school.</p>

<p>Our class of around 65-70 had about 10-12 top 20 school admits. Several ivies this year. We had 2 Dukes, a handful at Emory, a Brown, Dartmouth, Stanford, U o fPA, Princeton, Vandy, Notre Dame, Georgetown, Chicago (all different kids!). Several on WL at Harvard and Yale. This year's class was unusually talented and did better than the last several classes. It's a private (episcopal) college prep, upper middle class.</p>

<p>Our school posts on it's website (and in the newspaper) which colleges the students were accepted, not just where they matriculated. Can you get that information? You said accepted but I'm wondering if it was really matriculated. </p>

<p>Accepted is more helpful than matriculation because, at the end of the day, even many well-to-do families choose less expensive schools or schools where the students received substantial merit aid.</p>

<p>If you actually saw the 'accepted' list then I would ask the GC - seems unlikely that no one applied to an Ivy. We usually have at least Ivy one acceptance per year and several top 10.</p>

<p>The lists were published in the school "magazine", summer editions. It specifically says "university and college acceptances", so I assume those are not matriculations, but I could be wrong. I would think they would want to publicize the acceptances, even if the students were not going to those schools, because it makes them look better. As I said, Cornell appears every year, Columbia once, UPenn a few times, but not HYPS and some other top places. Just finding it rather curious, that's all.</p>

<p>^They probably are acceptances then. That is weird, you would expect to see at least one HYP et al, acceptance over a period of several years in a class that size. I would ask the GC. Hard to believe no one applied to those schools.</p>