High School Preperation

<p>Ok, so I'm enrolled in a special high school where the students dual enroll with a college and have the potential to graduate with a 2 year degree at the same time they receive their high school diploma. My question is what I should major in right now in order to prepare for my future university majors, Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (or maybe do a dual major), after high school. The college I dual enroll with is a technical college and I've narrowed my decision down to two fields: Software Engineering, and Computer Aided Drafting and Design. I plan on either majoring in Computer Engineering or Mechanical Engineering (or maybe do a dual major) after high school. I have taken a few classes in both, have no problems understanding both, and love both. My question is which one to settle on keeping in mind what will best prepare me for my university major(s). I am honestly leaning toward Software Engineering because I think it would be a much more useful skill to have early on whether it be for a job opportunity or because of the fact that programming and such could be a little harder to pick up than drafting skills. Not only that, but I have been advised that the skills that will come with Software Engineering will be useful whether I pick Mechanical Engineering or Computer Engineering whereas Drafting might not so much be (...but I'll be drafting circuit board designs and such...??). I've heard many opinions and have done much extensive research on many aspects of my interests in this question. I hope to simply get more opinions to help me rest peacefully in one decision.</p>

<p>People do this at a community college where I live as well. I would recommend either Computer Science (or Software Engineering, whatever), or Math (all the math you take at the community college you'll need for Engineering). CAD while maybe being a good skill, isn't going to overlap with the requirements as well.</p>

<p>Anyway, what your degree is isn't as important as making sure you get the engineering prereqs done...</p>

<p>Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations
Gen Chem 1 and 2
Analytical Physics (Calc-based) - Mechanics and E&M (often times called 1 and 2)
Atleast 1 semester of programming (and more if you decide on CS)
Econ - Micro and Macro (often called 1 and 2)
Composition 1
And then maybe some other humanities and social science classes.</p>

<p>I definitely think that Software Engineering would be the more useful of the two. Programming skills are used in both majors. It is ultimately up to you of course depending on which you want to study more. I don't think that computer aided drafting and design is that hard to pick up.</p>

<p>Ok, I understand. I am taking many of those and I'll definitely make sure I can take all the math I can get. Thank you. All the advice and information I can get helps. As many others are, I'm still learning. :P Haha. Please, anybody else with some helpful advice as well?</p>

<p>Definitely as many college level math classes as you can get up through Differential Equations. That'll be a big leg up when you hit college. I'd also recommend a lot of programming courses if you're even slightly leaning towards computers. I learned Pascal and C++ and while they never really helped in my major (Mechanical), knowing how to program and think logically like that helps, especially when you have to use other programs like MATLAB later on down the road.</p>

<p>@navyasw02 ... I am learning more toward computers, and yes, I agree the logic involved in computer programming is very practical. I will also definitely be taking all the math classes I can. Thank you.</p>